It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stripping a rednecks civil liberties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Not for nothing but the Government has pushed even Charlie Daniels to not sing a great country song because it may hurt some Arabs feelings. "Whatever happened to freedom of speech?"

Here is the link : story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040807/ap_en_mu/people_daniels_2

WTF are we becoming if we cant even sing about what we believe?

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Well, he decided not to sing it himself, responding to a request by the Arab-American group. It's not like the government prohibited him from singing the song.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
WTF are we becoming if we cant even sing about what we believe?

Ask the Dixie Chicks.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
country music sucks anyways.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Ariel Sharon has dealt with these monkey's for years, and not once has he stripped his fellow Israeli's of their rights ....

I'd like Ariel to give Bush some pointers .... This administration is nuts.

If anything it's offensive to us because A) People are coming here not knowing how to speak english and yet we need to be pc and not say anything?

It's also offensive to us because now we have to be sympathetic to these arabs??? How the hell did it get so twisted??
Their the enemy of the nation and we have to butt kiss? I don't think so...

I've heard very few arabs stand against their fellow arabs extreme ideas, and good for them...

If I was this dude I would not comply, this government is out to lunch, now we have to be sympathetic to teh arabs and also not wave the American flag at the olympics because it might also OFFEND other people ???

I don't think so

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Did anyone, other than koji, actually read this article? The feds weren't even involved - there is no censorship issue here. It was a concern by the Arab Community over Daniel's lyrics and his performance at a local music festival. A song it turns out he never intended to sing.

Expressions of concern from Arab-American groups prompted Dearborn officials to contact Daniels, who said he never intended to perform the song at the three-day community event, city spokeswoman Mary Laundroche said Friday.

In fact, Daniels was interviewed by a local paper and asked about the song. His explanation seems to have put the Arab community's concerns to rest.

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee said in a statement that it "recognizes and truly appreciates Mr. Daniels' explanation of the song's intent."

Nothing to do with the Bush Administration, and trust me, if Charlie had wanted to sing it, he would have.

Curme, the Dixie Chicks still sing... It just seems nobody is listening... Free speach at it's best...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Actually I have read the article and have been an avid Charlie Daniels fan and truely believe this was not a Charlie Daniels band dicesion , more like his record producers, managers, event co=ordinators, local law enforcement to avoid conflict etc. Just an FYI in the music business bands really have no say what they can do or play before the venue is actually approved by more than one voice. Its a very tideous operation, song lists, pyros etc all get approved first before the venue is even approved. Also ask Axl fron G&R aka "Guns & Roses" how many times he was sued by labels, production etc for jumping off the band wagon and doing what he wanted to do after he made it to the stage.. oh by the way..... been in the business since I was 16, I really dont think you want to try and debate this one........... Someone from the Government most likely told the label or local authorities not to play the song and manager probably told Ol Charlie himself to say he was not doing the song for the reasons in the article... sorry been there done that.

top topics

join