It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obtaining Wisdom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I have a question to all. In your context, what are the best ways to obtain general wisdom? Please share your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

When one Learns Enough. One becomes aware that he doth know Nothing.

-TheUniverse

Quotes used Socrates (Ancient Greek Philosopher) but taken out of context
edit on 14-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
I have a question to all. In your context, what are the best ways to obtain general wisdom? Please share your thoughts.

Well, to me anyway, wisdom comes not so much from age, from from education, and I mean lot of education, coupled with life's experiences in all areas, including dangerous things, and the knowledge of all of the evils a person can fall into. With all this come wisdom.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Clear your mind of preconceptions.

Ask God to give you wisdom.

Follow the path of love.

Have faith and you will obtain wisdom.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal

Dear Warpthal,

I guess I would ask you how you define wisdom. For me, wisdom is not knowledge, it is more than that. It is understanding the impact of truth. I can learn that rubbing sticks together can create fire, wisdom is understanding when fire is useful and when it can cause problems. Wisdom is understanding how to apply knowledge, to me.

I believe we attain wisdom by trial and error, it can be theoretical (observation) or personal (through our own mistakes and achievements). Wisdom then for me comes from understanding oneself, understanding others and how they are impacted by events and understanding cause and effect. Wisdom, unlike knowledge, takes time and effort. There are no shortcuts to wisdom and it only keeps growing. Be well.
edit on 14-6-2011 by AQuestion because: clarification

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
I believe we attain wisdom by trial and error... There are no shortcuts to wisdom...

Your statement is almost identical to one I have on my blog: "There are no shortcuts for maturity, nor any “cheat codes” for wisdom. These are only gotten in small installments as you walk along the path of life. All walk, but few pay attention to the scenery or look under rocks and logs for treasure. So have your goals in life, but don’t let the pursuit of them make the trip a waste of time." (link)

And if this is true, does it not explain at least in part the reason we have to go through this life? Often people hate God because they compare him to a parent that lets his babies play in the street, but I think it's more accurate to compare him to a drill sergeant that puts his recruits through rigorous training to make them the best they can be. (That isn't the whole story of course; there's Satan and sin to consider...) Whatever we experience in this life, the point is to learn from it and do the best we can. The talented and prosperous person who "buries it in the sand" will not fare as well on judgment day as the poor and sickly person who rose above what anyone expected of them.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth

Dear SaberTruth,

So as to not be off topic, I sent you a U2U. No shortcuts. Wisdom requires experience and not just knowledge. Too many seek answers, too few seek questions. Wisdom comes from questions and not from answers. I attempt to surround myself with people that question my every action so that I will make better decisions and never think that I have all the answers, that is wisdom. Accepting that we can always know more is the essence of wisdom and that means there are no shortcuts, just more work.

Sincerely,

A Question

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by SaberTruth

Dear SaberTruth,

So as to not be off topic, I sent you a U2U. No shortcuts. Wisdom requires experience and not just knowledge. Too many seek answers, too few seek questions. Wisdom comes from questions and not from answers. I attempt to surround myself with people that question my every action so that I will make better decisions and never think that I have all the answers, that is wisdom. Accepting that we can always know more is the essence of wisdom and that means there are no shortcuts, just more work.

Sincerely,

A Question

sounds nice analysis.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by acupof

Dear acupof,

Thank you. Be well.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Follow the path of love.

God doesn't give you wisdom, it must be attained on your own, using your own will. If people got wisdom in this manner, Churches would be empty.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Follow the path of love.

God doesn't give you wisdom, it must be attained on your own, using your own will. If people got wisdom in this manner, Churches would be empty.

top topics

join