It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. and United Kingdom to begin controlled blackouts due to impeding solar activity.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In a stunning announcement, The United States and United Kingdom are likely set to began “controlled” power cuts in preparation of a giant solar storm.

The announcement by Thomas Bogdan, the director of the US Space Weather Prediction Centre, comes a week after a large scale solar flare released a massive amount of radiation and threatened to cause moderate disruption.

The solar flare on June 7th, 2011 was luckily pointed away from Earth but caused many to wonder if another solar flare is imminent, this one aimed directly at earth.

Now, due to the possibility of a large scale solar flare, officials in Europe and the United Kingdom are preparing what they call, “controlled” power cuts. What this actually means remains to be seen.

In an interview with The Independent, Bogdam was quoted as saying, “controlled power “outages” will protect the National Electricity Grids against damage which could take months or even years to repair should a large solar storm collide with the Earth without any precautions being taken.”

Interestingly enough, this information also comes just days after NASA sent out a preparedness warning to all employees and their families.
Source
edit on 14-6-2011 by Daedal because: Wasn't complete

Here is another source I found from:The Independent
The Independent

edit on 14-6-2011 by Daedal because: Added info

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I can't find any credible source that is saying this.
edit on 14-6-2011 by aceto because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by aceto

Ahh thats better. But if they do this would would happen to those who depend on life support and the like?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by aceto
I can't find any credible source that is saying this.
edit on 14-6-2011 by aceto because: (no reason given)

Me either, that's the weird part. I guess the folks on life support don't matter though.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by aceto

Ahh thats better. But if they do this would would happen to those who depend on life support and the like?

Don't know dude, I guess depopulation works slowly.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
That would be mighty irresponsible, i can see protests happening already if this does happen. Dont blame em either. Id be mad too if my mom died because they wanna do "tests".

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I guess they and you missed this then: www.space.com...
This is expected to be a very weak cycle. Why werent we all panicking during last solar maximum?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Governance by fear is the order of the day.

Anything that will lead to our accepting a reduced quality of life to save ourselves is fair game now. This shows that they have abandoned the Global Warming debate in favor of a new paradigm of fear.

Slight of hand at a level Las Vegas Magicians can only aspire to emulate. Cower before the Solar Flare Bogeyman. Bankrupt yourselves to implement not ready for prime-time energy strategies and do it now. The Sun is coming and boy is he pissed off.

Ironically the other fear of the day is the announcement the Solar Maximum may not occur and may not happen for decades. I guess they, whoever they is have not kept up with the news.

Major Result on Sunspot Cycle.........

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

I'm pretty sure the hospitals have backup generators that last for days if not weeks.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I would imagine that life support machines probably had some kind of back up power, if not entire hospitals.

I'm wondering if its just a distraction...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
Why werent we all panicking during last solar maximum?

Doomsdayers have been panicking about solar maximums for as long as I can remember. Yes, there was panic about it. And the one before. And this current one. And the next one. The world has ended so many times now.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

All hospitals have generators and other alternative sources of electricity

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Not every country is the same.

A site with SIX nuclear reactors didn't have on hand even ONE diesel generator in Japan for a Tsunami on an Island with stone markers about Tsunamis.

You sure that everything that needs a back up has one?

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I did read that article today.But here's something interesting.Even if we are entering into a weaker sunspot cycle than has been previously stated by NASA,how will the interstellar cloud our solar system is in effect this?

new topics

top topics

join