It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Jews fight Scottish boycott

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

A group of British Jews have decided to fight back a Scottish anti-Israel boycott, inundating the district behind the move with complaint letters and setting up a Facebook page to counter the embargo.

Nigel Lawrence, a representative of the Board of Deputies of Anglo Jewry, told Ynetnews of the initiative, which followed reports that Scotland's West Dunbartonshire Council was boycotting all Israeli-made products, including books.

Source - Ynet News

West Dunbartonshire council has decided to boycott Israeli goods in the county issuing the statement that:

This Council condemns the massacre of 9 peace activists by the Government of Israel, and the continuing blockade of Gaza. Council notes these brave people were trying to deliver 10,000 tons of humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza which has been blockaded since 2007 by the IDF. This Council therefore re-affirms its current boycott of all Israeli goods. Council also agrees to write to all Scottish Local Authorities, Westminster and Holyrood Governments calling on them to implement an immediate boycott of all Israeli goods.
Motion by Councillor Jim Bollan – Boycott of Israeli Goods

Source

Well done to them for making a stand and a very public statement. I hope others follow suit to end the blockade and to recognise the state of Palestine.

There are a few hilarious statements in the original quoted source:

Nigel Lawrence, a representative of the Board of Deputies of Anglo Jewry, told Ynetnews:

"It infuriates me that Israel is set aside from all other nations," Lawrence said. "I see no reason for this other than anti-Semitism and I am enraged at the ongoing bias against Israel by some UK institutions."
"There are a large number of Jewish people in the UK with a very strong love of Zionism," he said. "The community is, at last, starting to recognize Anti-Zionism for what it is. I am proud to be a part of this growing movement."

C'mon Nigel. Really? You can't think of one reason other than the boohoo 'anti-semetism' card why this is happening? Even though the statement from the council gives clear reasning? Even though millions are effectively being held in a prison and having homes and land stolen? Even though the blockade stops them rebuilding their homes and infrastructure after they've been bombed? And yes there's a large number of Jewish people in UK with a strong love of Zionism. That's the bloody problem! Sheesh some of these folk....

But the funniest part is:

Lawrence said he and other Israel fans set up a Facebook Group to boycott all goods and services in West Dunbartonshire in response to the anti-Israel boycott.

"Sadly, no one has found anything made there - not even whiskey," he said.

FAIL

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Just to note, the council started boycotting Israeli goods in 2009, but suddenly the issue has been reawakened and is now about books specifically. I believe pro-zionist factions are re-igniting the debate to discredit the Scottish council and nation as a whole, claiming Scotland is full of 'Nazi book burners'

‘We’re no Nazi book burners’ Scottish council hits back after false reports stir up global Jewish fury

Also to note, Scotland has always been a country where Jewish people are welcome and respected. And when Jews were being persecuted across Europe, they were welcomed into Scotland with open arms. There are grounds to say that Scotland may be the only European country with no history of state persecution of Jews. Also with the prodiminance of elite families such as the Rothchilds, jewish people have been well represented. We also gave Oswald Mosley a good kicking when he came up for a visit

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
By Jove is that Haggis Kosher?
Does that Kilt ?
Hide Gentiles?
Are we not glad we are free?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

"Council notes these brave people were trying to deliver 10,000 tons of humanitarian aid to Palestinians in Gaza “

Does this 10000 tons include the (over a year) outdated medicines ?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gravitational

Do you actually have a point?
BTW, many companies use their "out of date" products in poor countries..
It's quite often still good but strict regulations stop it being used in some places..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
HAH.

And you notice how the anti-antisemitism is drawn out and connected with anti-Zionism?

Yeah, these people are not being paid to protest the boycott at all.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Well if i was ill and dying and couldn't get the medical care i needed because my local hospital was bombed, and the materials needed to rebuild it and medical equipment needed to help me weren't allowed in, and i wasn't allowed out because i'm a prisoner, even though i didn't do anything, i'd be like "Damn yeah give me that year out of date medicine!".

The fact that you find it funny that Palestinians are now in a position where other countries are having to try to force their way in there with out of date medicine to try to get SOMETHING to them, because the occupying force (that you support) is letting them die of illnesses that can be relatively easily and cheaply fixed says worlds about you.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Stop lying.

No hospital was destroyed.
If this “humanitarian aid” was so important that it could have saved lives, those peace activists could have docked in Ashdod harbor, have their goods inspected and delivered to Gaza by land, as was suggested by Israel but refused, because all this flotilla BS was a deliberate and clear provocation.

Your need to tell lies, shows you have no real case, but an agenda against Israel.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Can you really blame the Flottila operators for not adhering to Israeli demands when this list here gisha.org... shows the extent of the products which are banned from entering Gaza. Newspaper? What are the terrorists going to beat Israeli's to death with newspaper?

The blockade is a de-molarizing and some have gone as far to state that it is an act of pshycological warfare. i don't blame them. If a country was impeaching on your sovereignty and banning essential items (livestock) needed to sustain independent living then I would see that as phsycological warfare too. It serves nothing more but to assert military dominance and ruin the morale of Palestinians.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Stop lying.

Stop lying.

Ever?

If this “humanitarian aid” was so important that it could have saved lives, those peace activists could have docked in Ashdod harbor, have their goods inspected and delivered to Gaza by land, as was suggested by Israel but refused, because all this flotilla BS was a deliberate and clear provocation.

Sure. And a much needed provocation as well to point out to the world: "Hey, look at what Israel is doing!".

Because what Israel is doing, is not really right is it?

Your need to tell lies, shows you have no real case, but an agenda against Israel.

And you need to minimize what is said about Israel because you have an agenda in favor of Israel.

I love how the Israeli propaganda machine can't stand that people don't believe them anymore.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Indeed, i believe it is you that is lying.

Damage to Palestinian People and Property During Operation Cast Lead

Hospitals and clinics destroyed or severley damaged - 34

Well yeah, maybe not just bombed. Maybe 'destroyed' or at least 'extremely negatively affected due to bombing' would have been a better choice of words.

Fuel for Palestinian Hospitals: first Commission action through the Temporary International Mechanism

The European Commission is taking its first action through the Temporary International Mechanism (TIM), in response to an urgent appeal from the Palestinian President, Mahmoud Abbas. From today, the TIM is providing fuel for hospitals in Gaza. Following the destruction by the Israeli Defence Force of the 6 transformers of the Gaza Power Plant, 45% of the population of Gaza is without electricity. The power shortage affects all essential aspects of Palestinian life, in particular hospitals, which have now to rely on emergency generators. The fuel reserves of most hospitals are about to run out and President Abbas has asked the European Commission to provide Gaza hospitals with the necessary supplies. This will allow hospitals to continue functioning, albeit under difficult circumstances.

And what makes you so sure Israel would have allowed the medicine in? Even paper for school children to write on was banned at that time. And when they won't even allow materials in to help rebuild the generators, and they're running out of fuel for the emergency ones, meaning AGAIN other countries have to step in and help while Israel sits about and scratches it's arse doing nothing, i think it's safe to say the flotilla had a point in at least trying.

Israel seizes oxygen machines donated to PA

Health ministry says Gaza hospitals still suffering lack of medicine

And while i am very glad to hear that 180,000 Palestinians entered Israel to receive treatment at Israeli hospitals last year (Source), this is great news!. However, Palestinians have a right to exist as much as Israel does and the rebuilding of their infrastructure and healthcare system, or at least allowing in the medicine they need to function is a given.

Constantly relying on other countries to patch up the issues created by Israel's continued control and blockade is shocking in my book.

I do not have an agenda against Israel. I do however have an agenda against the Israeli treatment of the Palestinian people.

Care to admit your agenda?

edit on 9-6-2011 by Nammu because: adding some emphasis

edit on 9-6-2011 by Nammu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
County councils have absolutely no business getting involved in international politics - the electorate should kick these sorry bunch of losers out as soon as possible!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

County councils have absolutely no business getting involved in international politics - the electorate should kick these sorry bunch of losers out as soon as possible!

I'm pretty sure Israel does not decide what other countries counties should or should not get involved with. Besides, I believe it is a reflection of that counties' peoples beliefs that Israel should be boycotted, so in that respect, kudo's to the county electorate for listening.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

County councils have all the right. They are after all elected by and representatives of the people. If the taxpayer's money is being used to purchase and import goods from a country that contravene's International Law then surely it is in the interest of the people that this stops.

In fact, what is wrong about that is that more local councils don't so the same with imported goods from any country that contravene's International Law. Taxpayer's money should not be used to support trade with such countries.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Do you actually have a point?
BTW, many companies use their "out of date" products in poor countries..
It's quite often still good but strict regulations stop it being used in some places..

backinblack why settle for expired drugs when there are new drugs available?

edit on 9-6-2011 by Dnevnoi because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2011 by Dnevnoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Dnevnoi

backinblack why settle for expired drugs when there are new drugs available?

Hi. Have you set foot outside of your room? Have you been outside? Have you an idea of how this world works? Do you have any idea how the pharmaceutical companies and factories operate? You have these things called patents and contracts and all...know about how these affect the medicine in circulation? Do you know the difference in between "current" medicine and what you call "outdated" medicine? No? What a surprise.

So you were here just to bash the medicine being delivered? What, you were hoping to scoop some up yourself and sell them later?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitational
reply to post by Nammu

Stop lying.

BBC, 16 January 2009
BBC, 17 April 2008
Christian World Services, January '09
Environmental News Service, January 16, 2009
AFP, Jan 15, 2009

You, of all people, have no room to accuse others of lying.

There's no reason to honor an illegal blockade. Even if it were legal, Israel should have waited until they crossed the blockade before attacking, if only to cover their own asses.

Finally, delivering aid for the Palestinians to Israel is a lot like delivering aid for the Iraqi Shia to Saddam's government. it just makes no sense.

Then what is the agenda behind the like you are telling?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I'm glad they are taking a stand and boycotting Israel. Too bad you get painted with the jew hater label anytime you don't kiss the feet of the israeli terrorist nation.

The jewish motto: "Millions of us died in WWII, we can do no wrong! And if you think otherwise, your an antisemite!"

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood

The goods their county is purchasing in well within their domain as council members. Would you say a county that boycotted German goods during WWII doesn't have any business doing so? Or is your opinion swayed because you blindly support israel and couldn't find anything else to complain about with regards to this story?

I can't really say much about your posts without breaking the T&C, but I will say I'm pretty disgusted by your apparent amusement at people having their lives destroyed to the point where year-old medicine is actually a good thing.

edit on 10-6-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

where year-old medicine is actually a good thing.

The issue with medicine is irrelevant. What you see these posters doing is using underhand, sneaky tactics. Them doing it together should raise red flags with each and every critical reader. I'll try to explain how using the "medicine is outdated" argument is just one to put the focus on the people giving aid, it's trying to make the people risking life and limb look bad. Anyways, before I digress;

To send up to date medicine would cost an arm and a leg and that is, after you've been allowed to send it.

Medicine works with patents. A pharmaceutical company produces a medicine and puts a patent on it. From there on, they(the company) will be the only ones allowed to produce and sell the medicine for as long as the patent holds. They can sell it at whatever price they want to whoever they want.

Here's the clincher;

As soon as a newly fabricated medicine is out on the market, the old medicine which pretty much does exactly the same goes out of date. (different name in most cases is all there is to it - but this depends largely on the kind of medicine itself)

So as soon as a new form of the medicine comes out, regardless if the old one came out yesterday and the new one today, the medicine is regarded as expired. Why? To force people, apothecaries and governments, to buy the new medicine. Meaning, more money for the pharmaceutical companies producing the new medicine.

This is the scheme the pharmaceutical companies run.

Guess how long a patent lasts on average? A year.

Now ask yourselves why certain posters would take this angle?

edit on 10-6-2011 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Boycott everything from Israel until the Palestinians get their land back, simple!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join