It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: Huge explosion on sun - what does it mean?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Sourc e Link WP

9:30 p.m. update: The Space Weather Prediction Center is now saying the most likely scenario is just a glancing blow (G1 minor levels) from the solar storm around 8 a.m on June 9 lasting 24 hours. However, it does still indicate a small (25-30%) chance of a major-severe geomagnetic storm. Note: the state of the art is such that we’ll not know for sure until just 10-12 minutes whether the event will definitely occur - about comparable to the warning time for tornadoes, but the effects if any could be felt worldwide from mid-to-high latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere.

From 5:00 p.m.: The sun unleashed a massive solar storm today in a spectacular eruption that some have called the most impressive yet observed by the NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. The video shown below is dramatic.

The eruption occurs about eight seconds into the video on the bottom right portion of the screen.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
No wonder I've been feeling a good kind of edgy today as I do on days there are solar flares, there was a big one today!

Everything that happens, happens. Nothing is random but already planned out. As it is. Cheerio.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Sun Puff

Reminds me of a puff of smoke I let out of my mouth for a moment when I'm 'walking the dog', only to suck it right back in.
very cool.

edit on 8-6-2011 by Lighterside because: oops

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Now that's a big one!

It's been a rough year for the earth in 2011 and it just doesn't seem like it's getting any better. At what time would this storm hit us?

Edit: I wonder if someone could find a video of a bigger explosion...I've seen alot of videos like this but this one seems to take the cake.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Pwarp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

That means we have no free will if everything was already planned. How cruel is that? lol

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
That was massive!!!, We will have to wait and see what effects the earth experiences. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think it is a "direct" hit. Since it exploded out of the bottom right corner.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
IT MEANS THE NEUTRINOS WILL MUTATE AND ACT LIKE A MICROWAVE!

...Download my blog!

God damn what a miserable movie. Anyway. It just means that the sun is still a gigantic ball of incomprehensibly hot plasma formed by hot fusion.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by aceto

Last update on what to expect....

Top News of the Day:
June 7, 2011 2130 UTC - Now with the benefit of more information and model input, the prediction for Geomagnetic Storm activity has been revised. The models have the trajectory of the CME to pass Earth with just a glancing blow, now expected to occur around 1200 UTC on June 9. Expect primarily G1 (minor) NOAA Scale levels then, and for the storm to persist for 24 hours. The intensity of the Solar Radiation Storm is expected to be little affected by the passage of the CME-driven shock.

new topics

top topics

join