It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

Read the post you replied to. The answers to your questions are there.

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

All due respect. And you should know I do respect you. If you remember me that is.

I do remember you and thank you.

Atheism is no more or no less a worldview than theism is.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your question. We were talking about religion, not theism, so when you asked about theism, I assumed religion. I apologize.

I do not see theism as a world view. Theism is simply the belief that there IS a God. It's simply the opposite of atheism. But religion is another animal altogether.
I do apologize for not reading your question more carefully.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by UB2120
Why do you think atomic structure is the same as galactic structure? Look up the design of bateria flagellum, its a rotary motor that is 30nm. What is the origin of motion? What is gravity? What is energy?

What does this have to do with the discussion? If someone claims the universe was created they'll eventually need to produce the alleged creator. Not flagellum or atomic structure or proofs against randomness.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Very true. But that limitation does not directly mean it has either or neither.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrormaster

Originally posted by UB2120
God is the only un-caused cause. If you want to use the logic, what caused God, what caused you? Doesn't it make more sense that there is one self existant being that caused all of creation then to say there are billions or trillions beings that just appeared?

My parents procreating caused me and that's enough for me. Why does there have to be a meaning of life? I don't need have a reason to exist, I just am. I never understood that argument. If God doesn't need a reason to exist then why do we? Why does the universe? Why does life? Why does there need to be a creator just because there are things in the universe we don't understand yet and may never understand. Just because science hasn't found the answer yet (or ever will) for a lot of things doesn't automatically preclude that a divine being is the answer to those. Just because something defies current explanation or logic does NOT by definition make it supernatural, spiritual, or magical - we just don't understand it yet.

That's the beauty of free will. You don't have to believe. God compells no one to believe in him. And no, you will not go to hell, there is no such thing. If someone does not want to go on they don't, if they do they do.

To the unbelieving materialist, man is simply an evolutionary accident. His hopes of survival are strung on a figment of mortal imagination; his fears, loves, longings, and beliefs are but the reaction of the incidental juxtaposition of certain lifeless atoms of matter. No display of energy nor expression of trust can carry him beyond the grave. The devotional labors and inspirational genius of the best of men are doomed to be extinguished by death, the long and lonely night of eternal oblivion and soul extinction. Nameless despair is man’s only reward for living and toiling under the temporal sun of mortal existence. Each day of life slowly and surely tightens the grasp of a pitiless doom which a hostile and relentless universe of matter has decreed shall be the crowning insult to everything in human desire which is beautiful, noble, lofty, and good.

But such is not man’s end and eternal destiny; such a vision is but the cry of despair uttered by some wandering soul who has become lost in spiritual darkness, and who bravely struggles on in the face of the mechanistic sophistries of a material philosophy, blinded by the confusion and distortion of a complex learning. And all this doom of darkness and all this destiny of despair are forever dispelled by one brave stretch of faith on the part of the most humble and unlearned of God’s children on earth.

This saving faith has its birth in the human heart when the moral consciousness of man realizes that human values may be translated in mortal experience from the material to the spiritual, from the human to the divine, from time to eternity.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

You do realise early genetics was "discovered" by Christian monks right? To name one example.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake
Here's the thing:

Religious people believe in God.
Atheists believe there is no god.
Neither side has the facts to prove what they say is true.
Therefore, it all comes down to faith.
Atheism is a religion whether the atheists want to admit it or not.
In the end, we're all the same. We just have faith in different beliefs.

Since there is something and not nothing, I think it would be more difficult to prove there is no God!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UB2120

So long story short... "I can't really answer those questions so... You believe what you want, I'll believe what I want. You know, that 'free will' thing. Toodles".

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You do realise early genetics was "discovered" by Christian monks right? To name one example.

We knew about genetics long before there were christians.
How does this relate to the discussion?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Apropriate answer to your post is this

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

You do realize that pretty much ALL scientists pre-twentieth century were "Monks" or religious scholars by necessity right? If they thought or acted outside of that circle during that time period they would be branded heretics, killed or at the very least placed under house arrest like Galileo was in the 1600s. You do realize how much scientific material and research was destroyed during the dark ages and crusades because they were deemed blasphemous and the work of heretics?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
You won't find me arguing for a meaningless and purposeless existence, since I cannot in good conscience do so. It defies my experience as a human being. It's just "incongruent" with felt experience, which I don't think can be denied although I can't speak for anyone else. To me, losing faith in God would be like losing my own sense of mirth.

"To thine own self be true."

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
You won't find me arguing for a meaningless and purposeless existence, since I cannot in good conscience do so. It defies my experience as a human being. It's just "incongruent" with felt experience, which I don't think can be denied although I can't speak for anyone else. To me, losing faith in God would be like losing my own sense of mirth.

If you have a meaningful and purposeful existence it's because you gave your existence meaning and purpose, not because some deity provided it.

It is scary for some people to imagine a purposeless, meaningless universe - but fear should not prompt one to believe irrational things....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerazeesicko
I mean how does it hurt if it brings peace to those that need an outside source for comfort.

religion has never brought peace...its hurt humanity massively

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I am truly honored you remember me.
Thank you.

But, back on topic.
So, would you agree that like theism spawning the much blighted word and scapegoat religion, atheism can and does spawn a equal and opposite counterpart?
People being as people are.

I call it religion as well. Largely because they, in practice, are no different then their counterparts as far as I can see. Same tune, different words really.
And I want none of either world either extreme of the viewpoint divide envisages in their wildest "this world would be better if everyone was like me" fantasies.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
If you have a meaningful and purposeful existence it's because you gave your existence meaning and purpose, not because some deity provided it.

Here here! Nothing defines my reason for being except my own actions, not even the universe. My actions define me and my purpose. If my actions make myself and others happy then that's all that matters. I'm not here to appease so magic man in the sky.

It is scary for some people to imagine a purposeless, meaningless universe - but fear should not prompt one to believe irrational things....

It should not but unfortunately does otherwise we would most likely not have religion, big foot, aliens, UFOs, the illuminati, etc. Fear is a powerful motivator, especially fear of the unknown.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

You misunderstand and ASSUME, as usual.

Uncertainty is the highest state of being, or almost the highest, maybe one notch down from the apex, and then, at last having discarded all preconceptions or bias, with an open mind free from contempt prior to investigation, standing as it were on the unconditioned ground of being and becoming, one encounters the first/last cause and the impetus and stimulant or the catalyst to creative action, which is love, and then you know, not based on belief, but based on a personal experience.

Don't forget that we live in a self referrencial non-local, holographic universe, emmersed in a reality which at the most fundamental level remains and must remain the same, in eternity, even now, from the POV of this eternally unfolding (and forgiven) present moment relative to a realm of domain of limitless possibility that is bounded only by love as a first/last cause or the alpha and omega of existence.

It's very personal, and goes to the core of our own "qualia" or human experience, and no atheist can make me recant.

I am. This is. You are. Therefore there is God. Don't have time right now, but at some point I'll fill in the apparent gaps in the logic of that statement.

The atheist is close minded and willfully ignorant of the possibility that indeed there is God and that we've been included in his design, or in a creative process hatched with an intent of the will since there is purpose, and meaning, which is framed by love.

I am not afraid of encountering nothing, because that's precisely where God may be "seen" as a felt experience or gnosis, in the space of nothing that is everything already always, now and forever.

edit on 8-6-2011 by NewAgeMan because: slight edit

link   

Originally posted by Terrormaster
Fear is a powerful motivator, especially fear of the unknown.

Indeed it is, but things really get weird when we answer unknowns with a deity - itself another unknown. It makes the mystery twice as hard to actually solve.

link   

Originally posted by MrFake
Neither side has the facts to prove what they say is true.

atheists have always...are still...and will always continue to provide evidence against there being a god

thanks to science

religous people only have that book which isnt evidence

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I am. This is. You are. Therefore there is a God.

Sorry, that's a huge non-sequitur.

If you claim there is a god, first - define it, then produce it. No more talk about "higher states of being" and other guru-terminology.

The atheist is close minded and willfully ignorant of the possibility that indeed there is God and that we've been included in his design, or in a creative process hatched with an intent of the will since there is purpose, and meaning, which is framed by love.

Wrong again. I am perfectly open to the possibility of a god and most atheists are. We simply tend to have higher standards for believing in things.

You've made all kinds of claims about an alleged god, it's qualities, etc. Pony up some evidence.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Since so many people are replying to my original post, I'll just clarify here, what I said previously.

I did not mean atheism is a religion in a literal sense. I was simply implying that as annoying as theists are about spreading their faith, atheists are just as annoying in the same way. Now I'm sure that someone will jump in and say that theists are more annoying, but, from a theist's point of view, atheists are just as bad.

Let me just say it one more time: I did not mean atheism is a religion in a literal sense. I was referring to an atheist's set of beliefs as being their "religion". I know you guys don't practice it or don't have any other beliefs, but having faith in that one belief makes it sound religious, wouldn't you say?

Also, to the few people who did not realize which "side" I was taking, I'm a practicing Catholic and a believer in God. Not quite sure how you guys managed to interpret my first post as an attack on the faithful.. hahaha. I was simply saying one side is as annoying as the other.

P.S. I wonder how many atheists in this thread list their religion on facebook as atheism..

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join