It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK sends warships to Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

The British government has deployed two warships including naval support ship RFA Fort Victoria and RFA Argus in the Gulf of Aden near Yemen.

Source

I have argued many times that the West and Saudi Arabia does not want Saleh gone, mainly because there is no replacement setup. Now that Saleh is in Saudi Arabia having treatments, Yemen is left with the vice president, and the protesters are rejoicing, showing signs of a victorious revolution.

Who would uphold Western interests in Yemen if Saleh is gone? The West has no partners (also known as puppets) to replace Saleh.

What will Democracy produce in a state whose population is strictly Muslim, and are not that fond of Western policies in the region.

They cover those worries with the Al-Qaeda sheet. It is quiet old, the actually worry is the people of Yemen, not Al-Qaeda. The people of Yemen, if allowed to vote, will not choose Western partners (puppets) in to power, without those puppets the West won't be able to dictate and uphold its own interests over the Yemeni national interests. The Yemeni revolution is purely by the people therefore haunts some world powers of its outcome.

All of that extra talk aside, I'm wondering what the Warship's operations will be? Is it to protect Saleh? Is it to save civilian lives who are being murdered everyday by Saleh's forces? Either way, it is getting bigger.
edit on 7-6-2011 by confreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I live very close to Yemen now, and we watch the news from there tensely, waiting to see what happens.

Whatever happens, the West needs to mind its own business. I once believed that we should get involved when human rights are at stake, but since we only do so when it might be PROFITABLE... we need to friggin' BUTT OUT. Get out of the middle east, and let the middle east handle its own problems. I don't see any of these countries (besides Israel) asking for help, do you?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I believe that we are strategically placing military power in and around the middle east in the apprehensive foresight of an upcoming conflict.

Edit to add: Kind of like the quiet before the storm in a chess game.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The situation in Yemen is interesting..Just gotta wait & see how this all plays out..

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Kind of like the quiet before the storm in a chess game.

Excellent point, things get wound tighter and tighter until within 6 moves most of the pieces on the board are gone.

So if I remember correctly there are U.S. Warships through the Mediterranean, Persian Gulf, Arabian Sean and now Gulf of Aden. If you look at a map that actually surrounds Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Iran and Pakistan. Very interesting.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is big news ....... Britain has WARSHIPS! Wow. I thought we'd sold them all off!

Interesting thing with the Yemen is that have previously sought to join the Commonwealth (but I think were probably rejected due to their human rights record?).

Of course, the last time we sent ships there was to evacuate Aden..... I understand some Yemenis now regret driving us out.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

My understanding is the task group is part of "Response Force Task Group" which seems to have broken off training deploying some assets (in this case a supply ship and bay class amphib) to the region will the remainder are meeting up with HMS Ocean off Libya (some have docked in Malta) but there is an upsurge in the location of British ships at the moment.. defiantly seems a serious chess move taking place.
edit on 7/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

join