It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: My Plane Just Crashed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just when you thought flying couldn't get any scarier... students from Cornell university have built an unmanned airplane that has an on board control system with Windows XP integrated into the control system. The group used MS Flight Simulator to test flight algorithms for the plane and spent hundreds of hours on just that portion of its development. The plane has the abilty to fly entire missions without updates from the ground. Lets just hope its more stable than desktop Windows XP systems or there could be a double meaning to the phrase "plane crash".

research.microsoft.com
Kids who graduated from balsa wood bi-planes to radio-controlled airplanes will love what's coming around the corner.

Faculty and students at Cornell University have built an unmanned airplane with its own on-board, embedded control system. The large-scale model plane flies by accessing coordinates from an off-the-shelf GPS unit.

"The plane is capable of GPS guided flight, surveillance, and is very modular," said Kevin Kornegay, one of the faculty advisors for the project.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The enitre system uses wireless modems so that mission plans can be updated while in flight and runs off of 1GB of memory, divided into two seperate 512mb CompactFlash cards. It can even withstand 10,000 Gs (Like a plane of this type is going to move, creating that much force anyways).

No doubt that the military is looking into the sucess of this group of students. A UAV of this caliber could be very useful to armed forces.

[edit on 8/6/2004 by lockheed]

[edit on 8-6-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
No doubt that the military is looking into the sucess of this group of students. A UAV of this caliber could be very useful to armed forces.

Also, no doubt that some other "people", yes terrorist would like to get their hands on this and use it.

I hope that this doesn't come back to "haunt".... if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Sounds an awful lot like a dream had by an ATS member...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Check out that thread to see what I mean.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
XP as an OS is like Swiss cheese.... no thanks, to it flying planes....

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Why is this news. This technology has been in place by the model community for at least ten years. Can anyone explain to me what is the big deal.

E_T

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
XP as an OS is like Swiss cheese....

Maybe more like sieve.

But one thing is sure, I wouldn't want to be in that plane which is controlled by Microsoft's product. (or in which they have anything to do with flight controls)

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah sounds great..

"Our plane crashed due to too many pop ups and messenger spam." "Sorry"

"Fatal protection Error"

[edit on 6-8-2004 by Calculon386]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
blue screen of death

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
How can you use XP? It is the least reliable OS if you can even call it that. They should use a Unix based OS. It is a lot more reliable.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cy4111
How can you use XP? It is the least reliable OS if you can even call it that. They should use a Unix based OS. It is a lot more reliable.

Yeah Yeah, its easy to make fun of microsoft but what are OS are you using? Probably Windows.

As for "the least reliable", I think XP does have several flaws but its the best OS Microsoft has made yet. Its better then anything Apple.

Microsoft has the most problems because its the most popular, and so being makes it the most desirable target for hackers. Unix or Linux could have just as many problems if the hackers went after them.

Microsoft just needs to learn not to set the next version of windows date years before they have finished it, cause then there on a time crunch and mess up on the code every here and there.

So i'm hoping that there next version code named Windows LongHorn, will be a lot better. There calling it a refinned windows. They keep moving the release date back and back which is a good thing. Cause it has become apparent that they should spend more time on it from the get go, rather then spend time on it later with patches and updates.

Thats just my 2 cents

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
Yeah Yeah, its easy to make fun of microsoft but what are OS are you using? Probably Windows.

I trust microsoft to run my computer apps. but definately not to fly a plane or drive a car!

So what, after 3 months of flying the plane you need to reformat and reinstall, just like home?

They need to get the PC OS straight before they try to fly aircraft.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by Calculon386]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Imagine this:

It is the year 2010. All commercial aircraft are computer controlled. The corporations have done away with pilots in the name of cost cutting.

It is a nice clear day. There is no turbulance. As you stare through the window at the beautiful cloudless day you feel the plane begin to shudder.

You stand and walk towards the front of the plane. Looking through the window of the fully automated cockpit you see ...

[edit on 7-8-2004 by Pisky]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
LOL! Great one Pisky!

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ok, you talk about MS Windows.... You say UNIX? You trust UNIX to run the plane any better?
Very smart of you! NOT!!!!
Personally, I would not trust any software to run a plane alone.

Someone mentioned reinstalling every few months... Wow, what do you do? My home PC has had windows installed in it since the 1 month XP came out. Never a problem. How about learn about the OS you are using first.... I can recommend some good books if you like...... Windows XP for Dummies

I am in charge of Windows and UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX) machines. With the correct backup systems that would be in place, Windows/UNIX would be just as stable. If not, then it is the fault of the person taking care of the machines. These machines of course would be tested and I am sure would have a few redundant systems and abort capabilities if put into production. I am sure that a final production version would not use XP either, it would be put on a server version which is much more stable. The biggest worry you would have you be a typo error in the coordinates or a programming bug in the software guiding the plane. Lets not forget the GPS satellites that would probably be guiding this plane. Hopefully that does not go out. One good solar flare and who knows where it would be going.

The OS is probably one of the least worries. But, just mention the Name Microsoft and you all get to have a field day, but the reality is that all the products have their Good and Bad side. BTW... you all seem to loyal to products, but in the end, they are all just corporations trying to get you to be loyal and take your money. They must keep their pockets lined and most of you are more than happy to join their side. Personally, I have a Solaris box, Windows, and now a newly installed Linux system. They all have their weaknesses.. trust me.. My job involves a whole lot of testing in them.

[edit on 7-8-2004 by JCMinJapan]

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I just got WindowsXP SP2 today and for some reason it crashes even more than usual.... go figure....

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
Why is this news. This technology has been in place by the model community for at least ten years. Can anyone explain to me what is the big deal.

They've never heard of Giant Scale!

top topics

join