It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rubber steel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
This is pretty cool, Its amazing how many nanotech companies are starting to develop usable product, I think this one is killer
www.popsci.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Conducts electricity. Is it safe?? As far as it being a wearable computer, I don't see that happening. New computer designs are out in the market periodically.

Twist it, stretch it double, fry it to 200�C, douse it with jet fuel�the stuff survives. After the torment, it snaps like rubber back to its original shape, all the while conducting electricity like solid metal.

Some things are designed to break down. Environmental issues: Is it disposable? From the quote it seems unlikely.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Some things are designed to break down. Environmental issues: Is it disposable? From the quote it seems unlikely.

How many metals do you know break down? Come to think of it does anything you own that has a conductive material in it break down? I highly doubt it. I hardly think thats a viable argument for saftey. Although I probably won't feel 100% safe in a plane made out of rubber, not that i usually feel 100% in aeroplanes now!

I think this a FANTASITIC invention! Imagine the possiilities! Single sheet newpapers that are screens. Mobile phones (with the built in everything of now-a-days) that you can throw at a wall as hard as you can, and they just bounce back! GREAT STUFF! Thanks MWM excellent post.

[edit on 6-8-2004 by superduperman]

XL5

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Sort of like the alien foil that unfolds its self. It would be great for stoping bullets and car frames.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
If you like that, check this out. The strongest metal knowen to man. Glassy metal.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 6-8-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Watched a show Discovery Channel about this new metal. HAs an extreme memory capability as described in metal @ the Roswell crash. My gut feeling is that "if" Roswell happened then most likely the reason for covering up incidents is due to some sort of time travel. Imagine if the government knew time lines were being manipulated?

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
As I was reading the news article the first thing that came to my mind was the "foil" described by those who remember the incident.

As for the time travel hypothisis, let us remember that New Mexico has been one of the most popular sites for the testing of all things experimental from atom bombs to aircraft. There is most likely a logical and quite mundane explanation for the Roswell incident.

[edit on 04/8/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I have to say though this is alot like the foil that was described at Roswell

That picture of it in that persons hand could be straight out of a Roswell movie.

The people back then that talked about stuff like this had no clue it was possible to make stuff like this

[edit on 9-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by XL5
Sort of like the alien foil that unfolds its self. It would be great for stoping bullets and car frames.

How would this material stop bullets?
and for that matter where would you incorporate it in the vehicles body?

XL5

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Well it would stop bullets by deforming its self and the bullet and then snapping back. Its like the difference between aluminium and iron, aluminium crack under stress and iron deforms, this stuff bounces back after it deforms.

I'd make the outer sheet metal (except around the windows) out of it and the springs. Strenght (not hardness) is about how much something can absorb/deform upon impact and not break. However in new cars the make em so absorb alot of impact by using less steel and rigid supports, the car absorbs the impact and not you.

new topics

top topics

join