It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown skeleton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Help me identify this animal. I am assuming this is a skull, but not very sure. It was found on the coast of St. George Island in Florida. A friend of my Aunt found it. She frequents the island often and he forwarded her this picture. I believe he fishes there frequently and found this on the beach. He had no idea what it was. I'm not sure what he did with the specimen as I don't have a lot of the story.

It appears to be rather small, maybe a couple of inches long. I have not seen anything like it. Unfortunately, this is the only photo I have of it.
edit on 1-6-2011 by Jo Jo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Im sure it isnt a skull, it looks identical to fish vertabrae i have seen

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Jo Jo

It's not a skull, thats for sure. It looks more like the hip or pelvic region of a small rodent maybe. I really have no idea, I'm just spit balling.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I would go for fish, in my uninformed opinion.

However, Alien torso would be next on the list

Peace and good luck finding that one out, im sure someone will be able to identify it soon

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Nevermind I can't read call it a brain fart. I would say maybe skate, or manatee as suggested.
edit on 6/1/1111 by Golithion because: STUPID I"M WITH STUPID!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
It's probably from a manatee, it is florida afterall

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It was found here: St. George Island, FL

Not sure where it was found on the island, however. Its in the northern Gulf of Mexico.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jo Jo

I've found many of these on the shores around here. I even kept one (about 6 inches long) in my room for years. I asked my Biology teacher, years ago, what it was, and he told me, but I can't remember. Trust me, though, it's a very normal animal, even though I can't quite remember which one. If I do remember, or if I find it, I'll be sure to post it. Or, if someone beats me to it, then I won't bother.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Looks like someone found something similar while browsing google images

Possible Crucifix Fish Skull or Sea Bird

It actually was for sell on Etsy..go figure.

Edit to add - now that I googled what a Crucifix fish skull it does look similar but it is missing the obvious "crucifix" like image in the bone ridges...unless it's on the other side.
Yours looks a lot more like the unknown one I posted to though.

Someone on a thread that I am reading also said remnants of a dolphin skull? or a hard head cat fish....also look like this..I don't know.

Here's one of the crucifix ones that it is actually visible on.
edit on 1-6-2011 by pop_science because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Found it. It's a seagull pelvis.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Excellent find, but what a weird looking bone structure, looks so delicate and fragile lol

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
After taking a look at some manatee skulls I can say it is def not a manatee. Maybe go with the one someone else found.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Yea, that has to be it. Very similar. Thanks for finding that

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I concur with seagull pelvis. I think it is displayed upside down though...Just type in seagull pelvis in Google images, as there are some there, and you can note the similarities. Very nice on identifying that btw.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Great find yup seagull, Here I was about to post a Common guitarfish as a culprit. www.flmnh.ufl.edu...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Good job on the find!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jo Jo

Is that a photograph? It looks like it may not be to me.

If it is then I recommend sending it in to an academic department to be identified in case it really is a new discovery.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander
reply to post by Jo Jo

Is that a photograph? It looks like it may not be to me.

If it is then I recommend sending it in to an academic department to be identified in case it really is a new discovery.

I think you should read the thread, instead of just looking at the picture in the OP, and then post your random thoughts.

new topics

top topics

join