It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The "Other White Meat" will get you fired!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
So many on this website dont trust the government...
Yet i am WAY more affraid of my employer than i am the government....i used to live in Florida, and thr "right to fire" thing is an excuse for business to abuse workers. I have seen it used as a threat. Your employer has way more ways to directly affect your life more than the government does.

At least with the government, we the people can and do appoint people to lead us and create rules for us....we can always get rid of them and repeal the offending law....(we only have ourselves to blame if the guy we send up the hill is lame)

But with companies rights..the worker has little say if any..they are way too intrusive into workers lives with the pee in a cup to get a job thing, right to fire, and all the rest of their abusive violations of their employees...but as dealing with them is voluntary, the company gets away with it.

Dont give companies ANY more power over their workers.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
Again, this is perfectly legal. They are not saying you can't perform your cultural or religious practice. They are saying NO PORK on company property.

No religion says you MUST eat pork. Unless you are a member of "The Church of Waffle House." Long live the HOUSE

no its not legal you need pork to eat a blt read the article

www.local6.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
everyone needs to eat pork esoecially bbq ribs

www.local6.com...

[edit on 5-8-2004 by bigal66]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I origionally made a post to this trend siding with the employer and now I most admitt I was wrong. I viewed the employer as the maker of the rules in the way he wished to run his company however he violated man made laws of discrmination in the work place. Not only was this discriminatory but it sent a statement that "we the Muslims will impose our religious beliefs on all the non believers".
Where is the outcry from the ACLU or Arab American Orginizations. If this company is allowed to carry on this practise it will not be an isolated occurence. Islamic Law is already being instituded in Canada.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
CazMedia,

I worked in Florida for a very good company I guess I was lucky enough I had more benefits that my husband as an active duty in military at the time, and they paid for all kind of trainings.

I guess I was just lucky by the way the company was AAA of American and the headquaters was in Orlando.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Why would you even work for a company that tells you what is acceptable to eat and what is not?

Friday's are no mango days...don't forget it or I'll can ya!

Bringin religion into the workplace is a surefire way to create enemies or sway. Common sense should have prevailed if the employee was not Muslim, but even so...just one more example of the idiots who have power in our country....some lady's out of a job b/c she had some friggin sweet and sour pork on her lunch break and the boss man sh**t a brick...

The whole anti-swine thing was justified in ancient times b/c both pigs and men required water to live and only one was going to make it off of their supplies - it's one of those things that has evolved over the years into something people do b/c their parents parents parents parents did it and so why shouldn't they? Not bashing on Muslims here, just expressing my viewpoint...and now it's company policy....what's next?

LL1

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Take a look at Federal Employment laws:

www.eeoc.gov...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Notice the Bible and the Koran both skip the subject of the OTHER other white meat: HUMAN! Muahahahah GET IN MAH BELLY!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
This was clearly illegal, I hope the woman takes this guy for every penny he has.

Are there any updates on the lawsuit?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcook32p

Originally posted by Gazrok
Problem is Fl is a "right to work" state, which means basically the employer can fire you and doesn't have to give you a reason. (happened to me).

Actually, the state laws concerning "Right to Work" only cover discrimination based on membership or non-membership in a labor union. Here is a link containing the pertinent sections of Florida labor laws:

www.nrtw.org...

Originally posted by Q
Possibly some confusion over 'right to work' versus a 'at-will employment' state?

My state is totally 'at-will' employment, unless otherwise guaranteed by a contract. This means that if you decide you want to quit your job and go fishing, you have that right with no repercussions. Sounds great, huh? Well, the flip side is that it also works for the employer. That's right--they have the option to fire you, at any time, for any reason or no reason. No matter what's going on pretty much, they can just say "oop!

I think that Gaz got “Right to Work” and “At Will” confused. Having been involved with the union at the airport down here, long ago; I know that Florida is both of these things. Dcook is correct in the fact that “Right to work” is about disallowing unions from operating closed shops in companies in this state. Basically takes any power away from a union that is located solely within the state. So for instance if my local company goes on strike, they fire everyone, and hire new guys that are non-union; however, if I belong to a national union, like the air mechanics, when they strike they can close down shops form one side of the country to the other all at once and have some negotiating power. So often you will see that the companies here that do have unions have a different union at each of their branches, and if you have even 50% of the employees at any one branch in that union they are doing well.

As far as “At Will” this means that a company here can fire you at will for anything, even if they don’t like the color shirt that you wore today. On the other hand, most companies here are smart enough to give you 3 written notices of an infraction before firing someone. Even in this state there can be ramifications and you can sue an employer if you can show that you were given conflicting rules, unfair rules, or different rules then other employees.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
OK... muslims need to take a looks at what jesus told the pharisees, (remember they view jesus as a prophet and this is one of his teachings)

1 Then came to Jesus scribes and Pharisees, which were of Jerusalem, saying,

2 Why do thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? for they wash not their hands when they eat bread.

3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;

6 And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

7 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

The last verse is the most important...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join