It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conan the American!!!... I mean barbarian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

not bad now for the rest

IMBD or somethin

The tale of Conan the Cimmerian and his adventures across the continent of Hyboria on a quest to avenge the murder of his father and the slaughter of his village.

Conan... the BARBARIAN

Conan the Barbarian (also known as Conan the Cimmerian, from the name of the character's homeland, Cimmeria) is a fictional character. He is a hero,[1][2] a well known and iconic figure in American fantasy, and the most famous barbarian in fiction.[3]

Conan is often associated with the fantasy subgenre of sword and sorcery and heroic fantasy. He was created by Texan writer Robert E. Howard in 1932 via a series of fantasy stories sold to Weird Tales magazine. The character has since appeared in licensed books, comics, films, television programs, video games, roleplaying games, and even a board game, all of which contribute to the hero's long-standing popularity.

Conan the Barbarian is also the title of a Gnome Press collection of stories published in 1954, a comic published by Marvel Comics beginning in 1970, and a film and its novelization in 1982.

and... for those budding profilers

Personality and character

Conan is a Cimmerian (based somewhat loosely on the Celts), a barbarian of the far north. One of his grandfathers, however, came from a southern tribe. He was born on a battlefield and is the son of a village blacksmith. Conan matured quickly as a youth and, by age fifteen, he was already a respected warrior who had participated in the destruction of the Aquilonian outpost of Venarium. After its destruction, he was struck by wanderlust and began the adventures chronicled by Howard, encountering skulking monsters, evil wizards, tavern wenches, and beautiful princesses. He roamed throughout the Hyborian Age nations as a thief, outlaw, mercenary and pirate. As he grew older, he began commanding larger units of men and escalating his ambitions. In his forties, he seized the crown of the tyrannical king of Aquilonia, the most powerful kingdom of the Hyborian Age, having strangled the previous ruler on the steps of the throne. Conan's adventures often result in him performing heroic feats, though his motivation for doing so is largely for his own survival or for personal gain, implying that the character displays the characteristics of an anti-hero and could be described as the archetypal "amoral swordsman" of the Sword and Sorcery genre.[1][2] This observation could however be said to be in contrast to the assumption that Conan was merely another barbarian hero as envisioned by Howard for Weird Tales magazine.

now to the geek mobile...duh duh da

Conan marvel wiki

Conan is a fictional character based on Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian. He was introduced to the comic book world in 1970 with Conan the Barbarian, written by Roy Thomas, illustrated by Barry Smith and published by Marvel Comics.

The highly successful Conan the Barbarian series spawned the more adult, black-and-white Savage Sword of Conan in 1974 (published by the Marvel imprint Curtis Magazines). Written by Thomas with most art by John Buscema or Alfredo Alcala, Savage Sword of Conan soon became one of the most popular comic series of the 1970s and is now-considered a cult classic.

The Marvel Conan stories were also adapted as a newspaper comic strip which appeared daily and Sunday from September 4, 1978, to April 12, 1981. Originally written by Thomas and illustrated by Buscema, the strip was continued by several different Marvel artists and writers.

Marvel ceased publishing all Conan titles in 1996. In 2000, Dark Horse Comics acquired the license to publish the character.

now to marvel wikia
Conan comics marvel wikia

just click on a book you want to look at and see if a fan wrote out synopsis

The reason I mention this this way was a what if... or two

What if 13
walked the earth today

What if 39
he battles thor

What if 43
Was stranded in the 20 century

I mark this one as the best of this mini set... I loved it...

just picture pimp conan... I am not kidding... nobody jacked with his crap...lol

What if vol 2 16
Battled wolverine

and for the rest

Darkhorse

Conan, the sword-and-sorcery character created by Robert E. Howard, is the protagonist of three major comic series published by Dark Horse Comics. The first series, entitled simply Conan ran for 50 issues from 2004 to 2008; the second, entitled Conan the Cimmerian, began publication in 2008 and lasted 25 issues until 2010; the third series, entitled Conan: Road of Kings, started publishing in December 2010. Dark Horse has also published a few one-shots and several mini-series.

Dark Horse is also publishing ongoing series of collections of the original Marvel Comics Conan the Barbarian, The Savage Sword of Conan [the Barbarian] and King Conan series in graphic novel format.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The original

IMDB- orig

The epic tale of child sold into slavery who grows into a man who seeks revenge against the warlord who massacred his tribe.

and you can not have this tale without this

The Hyborian Age

The Hyborian Age is a fictional period within the artificial mythology created by Robert E. Howard, in which the sword and sorcery tales of Conan the Barbarian are set.

The word "Hyborian" is a transliterated contraction by Howard of the Ancient Greek "hyperborean," referring to a "barbaric dweller beyond the boreas (north wind)."[1] Howard stated that the geographical setting of the Hyborian Age is that of our earth, but in a fictional version of a period in the past, c. Upper Paleolithic (40,000 to 10,000 BC).[2]

The reasons behind the invention of the Hyborian Age were perhaps commercial: Howard had an intense love for history and historical dramas; however, at the same time, he recognized the difficulties and the time-consuming research needed in maintaining historical accuracy. By conceiving a timeless setting — a vanished age — and by carefully choosing names that resembled our past history, Howard avoided the problem of historical anachronisms and the need for lengthy exposition.[3]

Although he is not represented in Howard's library, nor alluded to in his papers and correspondence, there is a strong likelihood that Howard's conception of the Hyborian Age originated in Thomas Bulfinch's The Outline of Mythology (1913), acting as a catalyst that enabled Howard to "coalesce into a coherent whole his literary aspirations and the strong physical, autobiographical elements underlying the creation of Conan."[3]

In Howard's artificial legendarium, the Hyborian Age is chronologically situated between two other eras: The Pre-Cataclysmic Age of Kull (c. Upper Paleolithic 20,000 BC) and the onslaught of the Picts (c. 9500 BC).[2] According to "The Phoenix on the Sword", the adventures of Conan take place "...Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas..."[4]

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
the main actor looks like a heavy metal puss...

sorry but thats not conan for me...no need to make a remake of a awesome movie....:/

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I love Conan... but no one will ever get him right.

This new film looks like a build on of the Schwarzennegger franchise, and those films depicted Conan as an all brawn, no brains killing machine.

Conan was well schooled, and well trained, and while he was built like a brick $h!t house, he was also quite agile on the battlefield, and used his intellect just as much as his physicality to decimate his foes, both mortal and/or gods.

This film, Solomon Kane, written by the same author who created Conan (Robert E. Howard), looks infinitely better to me.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by angrydog

I am going to wait and see... it appears he might have a more fluid approach then arnold's version...

but your descriptions seems somewhat fitting...

it however does not mean it will not be bad

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Damn i thought it was going to be conan, the guy thats on tbs as a talk show host, he's mad funny

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

it does look better a lot better...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I will add that the opening of 'Conan the Barbarian' was one of the most beautifully shot sequences in film history. Almost no dialogue. The whole exchange between Thulsa Doom and Conan's mother was perfect. No words, just expressions. Perfect.

edit on 24-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrazydude11

that would make a whole different thread...

he could do a whole movie but I think TBS has him tied down in a pretty good contract....

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is who I would have cast in the lead role.I believe he is even better suited to the role than Arnold.I give you Scott Steiner ! www.youtube.com... Could someone please embed ? Thankyou . Bye the way I named my son Conan.True !
edit on 24-5-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-5-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

The guy with the short & stupid hair, or the guy getting the $h!t beat out of him by the guy with short & stupid hair? I'm guessing the latter, but I don't think he'd be right either.

Hugh Jackmon actually would've made a good Conan. He's got the acting chops, the physicality (Conan wasn't a body builder in the books. He was built, but not HUGE), and he's an intelligent guy (believably). Mix him with a digital stunt double for the impossible feats of Conan, with the budget of LOTR, and you'd have it.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

here you go...

I thought scott would have made a great hulk or abomination

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

I am going to have to find one little tid bit

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Red Sonja movie

No Red Sonja in Conan Movie - Rose McGowan Still Unsure of Status
Rose McGowan will not appear as the flamed haired she devil with a sword in the new Conan film.
Since it was recently announced that Rose McGowan was to star in the Marcus Nispel Conan there has been much speculation that Rose would no longer star as Red Sonja or that the film is dead all together, or that she will appear as Red Sonja in the new Conan film. This is not true.

"To clarify press reports: Red Sonja is delayed. I pulled out of doing it in ‘09. Not permanently. Hopefully will follow Conan." - Rose McGowan

For fans... RS- wiki

Red Sonja, the She-Devil with a Sword, is a fictional character, a high fantasy sword and sorcery heroine created by Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith. She first appeared in the Marvel Comics's Conan the Barbarian #23 (February 1973).

Red Sonja has become the archetypical example of the fantasy figure of a fierce and stunningly beautiful female barbarian who typically wears armor resembling a bikini or lingerie.

The character now appears monthly in her own series, Queen Sonja, as well as a series of mini-series and one-shots, all published by Dynamite Entertainment.

of note for CR fans (DMCA)

Legal

On June 6, 2006, comic news site Newsarama reported that Red Sonja, LLC (which holds rights to the Roy Thomas version of the character) filed a lawsuit on four counts against Paradox Entertainment (which claims rights to Red Sonya as part of the Howard library, though no renewal record for The Shadow of the Vulture exists) in US Federal Court in April 2006. The four counts are claims of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and unfair competition.[2] The lawsuit was settled in January 2008, on the second day of the hearing, for a sum of $1 each. Red Sonja LLC paid $1 to Paradox for the rights to Howard's Red Sonya and permission for the Red Sonja stories to continue being set in Conan's Hyborian Age. Paradox simultaneously paid $1 to Red Sonja LLC for the exclusive print-publication rights for The Shadow of the Vulture now that one of the characters belongs to Red Sonja LLC.[3]

till it gets vevoed

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Rose McGowan does have a roll in the new Conan flick though.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Rose McGowan as Red Sonja? Nice...

I know she's kind of a wreck now, but Bridgette Neilson was awesome as this character back in the day...wasn't the best movie, but loved her character.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As long as they include the classic Arny line, "Grom, I have never prayed to you before, but if you exist at all grant me vengeance today, and if you don't the hell with you." That is a must in all Conan the Barbarian films period.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Your title is so.......
...sh1t...my side still hurt.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
After seeing the guy in Game of Thrones....he'll likely be good in this role (similar character)....

join