It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel cannot return to indefenseable lines: Netanyahu. and other thoughts.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I know people are going to start whining about "LEFT WING!" and "LIBERAL!" and "EVIL!" and so on...it'd be nice if they could just shut up about imaginary political divisions for once, and pay attention to the actual details:

So.....

Netanyahu is committed to "2 states for 2 peoples" (be nice if we could live in a world where racism doesn't dictate borders, but whatever).

He is willing to make "painful compromises", and explains that anything they give up will be out of the goodness of their own hearts, and the Palestinians don't really have a right to anything, because "In Judea-Sumeria, (ancient name for the West Bank) the Jewish people are not foreign occupiers" (a statement for which he gets standing applause for some reason).

So before any negotiations have even started, Netenyahu says that they will NOT be returning to 67 lines, they WILL continue settlements, they WILL have a unified Jerusalem under Israeli control, they will NOT accept negotiations with Hamas (which yes, DOES say that it would accept a peace deal based on 67 lines), they will NOT accept any negotiations unless the other side recognises the right of Israel to exist as a Jewish state, they will NOT allow the return of the descendants of refugees, and they WILL have Israeli military INSIDE the borders of any Palestinian state that is created.

So basically... "We want all the concessions from the Palestinians, and then maybe, out of the goodness of our hearts, we will give them a bit of land (which actually they have no right to, since it is all ours), which they will certainly not have sovereign control over, because we'll want our military on both sides of the border".

And for this he got a standing ovation.

With the way things are going currently, I think I'd have to agree with bluemirage's conclusion...there's never going to be a Palestinian state. But while s/he doesn't really care about that (I'm assuming s/he's israeli, after all), I find this a sad thing.

All one can do is hope some serious changes occur.

<< 1   >>

join