It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does this site contain viruses that shutdown your computer LOL?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mercanaries3

this site is clean, ive never even got tracking cookies off it

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mercanaries3

I've been hit twice, not on ATS, but by clicking on a link in a thread and going to an infected site. Luckily my virus scanner picked it up.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
reply to post by wonderworld

Not sure if you are or not, but it may be best to get familiar with your task manager [ctrl] [alt] [del]. If your processor is pinging 100% activity, open up the processes tab, and try to identify which one is using up all the resources. If it's one that you're sure is not being used by you at the moment, kill it...end process, and then you'll probably get some system stability back.

Then go online, and search the process and try to identify how to get rid of the issue on a support forum.

Once again, not sure what your tech level is, so maybe I'm not telling you something you already know.

If so, my apologies.
edit on 22-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

Thank you, I'm fairly computer savy, as well. I think it's just as easy to either download highjack this or go directly to the registry and change the numbers. Deleting wont stop the virus, even in msconfig.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Well it's been a long time since I was on windows, so I'm not sure on the exact ways to get rid of each specific virus. It depends on how the virus was set up and how it goes about latching itself onto your particular system.

Thankfully, linux doesn't seem to require AV soft or malware, so I'm just chillin here.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Well it's been a long time since I was on windows, so I'm not sure on the exact ways to get rid of each specific virus. It depends on how the virus was set up and how it goes about latching itself onto your particular system.

Thankfully, linux doesn't seem to require AV soft or malware, so I'm just chillin here.

With linux have you ever experienced the blue screen of death? It almost requires updating the Vista software or XP, or which ever operating system. Some are scarier than others and harder to remove I guess. I always like a place like this for technical advice when needed though. I'll knock on wood.

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

BSOD is in the microsoft OS architecture.

Linux is built like space grade titanium parts, and used for mission critical servers of huge corporations and governments.

No BSOD.

You set it up, it just works, and...that's it.

You're welcome, and any time just u2u...
edit on 22-5-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Maybe you caught something some where else to shut down your comp...? Malware can open up your computer to be easily infected from other sources, by link redirection ,etc, if you're not aware your computer has it.

ATS is safe. Going off ATS for an image or link, may be risky...
Always run your anti virus/malware software, as it will catch programs before they can damage. Also, be careful of certain sites(ex. picture hosting sites) that are no longer monitoring advertising and doing virus scans. There you can easily be infected.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Sounds like a hardware issue and not a software issue.

Maybe time for a spring cleaning.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

No, you misunderstood me friend. It wasn't the site that caused the problem, it was my hardware. When a power supply begins to go, you will have intermittent shut downs.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Sometimes when you are running a heavy load on your CPU and something like a antivirus program starts its daily scan thing like slowdowns or shutdowns will happen.

I some times ran with 3 windows open and have had my antivirus program shut me down.
Finely fixed the problem by running two computers and using one for listening to radio programs IE and just using my main computer for going to sites.

Now at times i have 3 computers running on a home LAN system.with different OS's (WIN XP and Linux Mint)

www.linuxquestions.org...
ubuntu.swerdna.org...

ATS uses a lot of resources with there flash ,ads
This does not help when you have slower computers.

A faster computers is not always the answer i have tried that route, 2 or 3 computers in a home LAN with file sharing beats just going to a faster computer.

And in my case cheaper as i am using thrift store computers with free linux OS for my extra computers to support my 10 years old windows computer with XP .

And i never lose data as i am backed up across computers, Lose one hard drive and i have a complete backup on another one of the system ready to reload.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
After scanning thru this thread quickly, I noticed a few things I'd like to comment on:

1) you CAN get viruses / trojans / malware on ANY operating system, including Linux - Windows is just targeted the most because the majority of people on the planet use it.
If you look, you CAN download and install antiviruses for Linux, such as Clam, AVG, and Free Agent.

2) I liked the analogy comparing Windows to BSOD and Linux to "titanium spacecraft" or whatever it was, however; keep in mind that any armor will deteriorate over time - in English, you need to keep ANY operating system regularly updated and patched to maintain stability.

3) Now that I'm 30 years old, it's funny looking back on computers. Myself an others of my generation are still "used to" working with systems that had around 8 - 16 MEGAbytes of RAM; it really was NOT that long ago - you're talking less than 20 years ago... These days kids get on their computers with 4 GIGS+ of RAM and think they can run 100's of different programs at the same time. While the fact is you CAN do a whole lot more these days than we ever could back then, each individual application needs it own specific amount of processing and memory; if you try to do too much at a time, your system can easily overload, overheat, and shut down.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

It's nice to see that some people out there still know what a distributed network is...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join