It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need help w/buying telescope please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Im sorry i have been searching for awhile now and i no this isn't a place to do this but there is alot of smart people that are on this site .So with say n that Im looking to buy a nice ,very good telescope within the price range of $80-$150 i know Im not going to find an amazing one but i really want to b able to tell what Im looking at n space so please Im begging u help me please .I want to think u for ur time......THANKS TO ALL

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glyph_D
Im sorry i have been searching for awhile now and i no this isn't a place to do this but there is alot of smart people that are on this site .So with say n that Im looking to buy a nice ,very good telescope within the price range of $80-$150 i know Im not going to find an amazing one but i really want to b able to tell what Im looking at n space so please Im begging u help me please .I want to think u for ur time......THANKS TO ALL

Save up just a little more and start out with a 4.5" Dobsonian.

4.5" Dobsonain telescope

BUT first, ask yourself what you expect to see with a telescope.
You will not see colored images of huge nebulas and galaxies.

Jupiter and Saturn are spectacular but the thrill wears off fast
after you see them a few times.

99% of what you can see with an amateur telescope in city light
pollution conditions will just be pin points of light so you really need
to ask yourself why you want a telescope and what you will want to
look at with it.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Version100

thanks im very thankful for ur help iv actually checked that tele.. out n i could only find it for about $200-$400 n that's the cheapest. what is ur opinion on the celestron power seeker 127 EQ? i think that is the right one im talkn bout

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Excellent idea. I personally recently bought a 8" Orion Dob and it is really easy to use. I've heard good things about the 4.5" dob.

To be honest, any scope cheaper than $250 might end up being a little disappointing (depending on what you wanna look at). Deep sky objects will be hard to see with a small scope. Dobsonians are a really great first choice because they are easy to use and they have good aperture.

If you only have about a $100 to spend, let me suggest a good pair of binoculars, especially if you have no previous astronomy experience. I actually use my binos way more than my scope. You would be surprised what you can see!!

Heres a pair I have:
www.binoculars.com...

I hope this helps. Good luck!

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have had a few cheap telescopes, and they just aren't worth it...

My kids ended up unscrewing the lens from one of them and filled it full of cat food, which was probably a better use for it.....

Cheap telescopes in your price range will just end up discouraging you from continuing the hobby, unless you really do love it, then maybe a cheap on will be okay, but not for long...

Refractor ones are really difficult to use unless you really know what your getting into..

I would try a reflector like this one, plus it is 50% off right now and looks like a darn good deal..

telescopes.com

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

thanks both of u for helpning me iv decided on the dob4.5" thanks so much i found one for about $300 im very excited i cant wait ... THANKS U WERE A GREAT HELP BOTH OF U

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

thanks im very thankful for ur help iv actually checked that tele.. out n i could only find it for about $200-$400 n that's the cheapest. what is ur opinion on the celestron power seeker 127 EQ? i think that is the right one im talkn bout

The quality of the EQ mount is not too hot on that telescope.

You will spend a lot of time waiting for vibrations to go away every
time you touch it.

Also, it has a mirror configured for very short focal ratio so there
will be lots of distortion on the edges even with perfect collimation.

Any Newtonian reflector (The Celestron and the Orion are both
Newtonian reflectors) require that you "collimate" the primary and
secondary mirrors to get good views.

As another poster stated, a decent pair of Binoculars will do the job
nicely.

Orion's Scenix 10 X 50 are $99.00 and will give great views day or
night and you can even purchase solar filters to look at the sun.
(NEVER look at the sun without filters, instant blindness)

Scenix 10 X 50

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
All the research I did before I got my wife's for x-mas indicated that unless you are willing to shell out about 500.00 or so you might as well buy some high speed binoculars for all the differnce you will see.

I went with this one ETX-90 its cool you can hook it up the the laptop and use the software to look at pre plotted things and store your own settings as well.

We live in the middle of nowherre Missouri on a farm so light is not an issue for us. Seriously though if you have 200.00 save for 6 months and get a lot more fun for the extra investment. My hunting spotter scope cost 250 and I can see a lot with it.

Cheers.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Lol I thought this thread was going to be about glp's unethical begging of money from their posters to build an observatory
darn
Anyway.
Maybe this will help
Buying a Telescope: What kind of telescope should I buy?
www.my-spot.com...

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

DO U THINK AMAZON WOULD HAV ONE N STOCK

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Orion ShortTube 80 Refractor Telescope Optical Tube Assembly I FOUND THIS FOR 120 ON THE SITE THAT U GAVE ME LINK TO

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

SORRY WRONG THING DIDNT READ ALL NFO

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Orion ShortTube 80 Refractor Telescope Optical Tube Assembly I FOUND THIS FOR 120 ON THE SITE THAT U GAVE ME LINK TO

The Short Tube 80 is a great little telescope but at that price it does not
come with all the stuff you need, it does not have a tripod.

What would you like to look at with a telescope ?

What you want to see makes a big difference in what you should buy.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

IM GOING WITH THE BINOCS THANKS GUYS I REALLY APPRECIATE THE HELP .I FEEL LIKE A IDIOT CUS IM ASKING SO MUCH FROM U GUYS THANKS THOUGH THIS MEANS ALOT TO ME

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I WANT TO C PLANETS,MOONS, MAYBE NEBS N DEF STARS ALSO

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I got one of Ebay 100 pounds.
it was good for a starter.
you can check the sellers rating.
if they have a high number and not bad comments.
they should be ok.
I dont see much thats any good.

posted on May, 21 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Dont feel bad about asking questions! Its wonderful you want to explore the solar system and space. I would also get a guide book of some kind. I'll link some that I have personally used and found very helpful!

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306015842&sr=1-1

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306015907&sr=1-1

I hope these help you. If you have any more questions, please ask.

new topics

top topics

join