It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would you want to host the Olympics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Apart from the 'fifteen minutes of fame', the concept of a different country every four years
is a nightmare. Sure, it gets tourism, media rights etc but when it's all over these
complex' are a huge on-going economic burden.

And everyone want's a slice of the action...unions ect. And when they get that pay rise
do you think they go back to their pre-games paycheque. No way. One example,

Paramedics demand Olympic bonus
The striking workers have rejected the much lower overtime payments that the government has offered them.

The paramedics' union has threatened to hold more strikes during the Olympic Games, which are being held in Athens from 13-29 August.

Members of the security forces have been promised bonuses of up to 2,500 euros (�1,650).

This has prompted a series of strike threats from other groups, including hotel workers.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Its all about the money baby........ Millions go to that country and spend...

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
exactly......like the cobra said-------"Its all about the money baby" and my thoughts is the revenue! revenue! revenue! for the city and country.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
As a Greek, and citizen of Athens.....belive me ...all the lights and ceremonies are good...but afterwards....i belive the one who are going to pay are us.....
Its pride to see Athens city like that...but i dont want to think what comes afterwards....

In the other hand the good things are all the new traffic, sports, and other instalations that they are going to stay.

Also the MEGA security training and protection that we have now.....

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I can't speak for other cities, but Atlanta did it right economically. I know alot of outside vendors felt "screwed" when all was said and done because they didn't get rich like they thought they would. And there were transportation problems, and the "vistitors" rated it a "so-so" Olympics...

But screw 'em. Atlanta got paid.
But used the funds right up front by building integrated, continuing use facilities for the long term benefit of the City.

They bulldozed one of the worst ghetto's in the south in the middle of downtown, and rebuilt it as Centential Olympic Park and Village (with mixed income state of the art housing). Instituted a TAX FREE zone for the next 10 years for anyone rebuilding the old warehouse district into residential and commercial lofts, then passed the privelege to new residents. And built the stadium that would continue as the new home of the Braves. Basically for free.

Living in downtown Atl was great after the Olympics. Suburbs are for suckers.

new topics

top topics

join