It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mind Unlocked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Your opinions on my thoughts would be welcome...

What happens to the mind when we die? Does the mind exist before life?

I would like to present to you my thoughts on the above questions. This may be a long winded thread so if you’re not interested in reading and opening your mind to the possibility of my thoughts, please close the thread and go no further.
I guess if you’re like me, you’ll probably often find yourself wondering about life, questions such as, Why are we here? Who put us here? How did we get here? What happens when we die? What happened before we were born? These questions will probably be the main of your thoughts. You will probably find that the more you think of them, the less you find any answer too and the more questions you have for yourself. Well this is the case with me anyways. What I do feel is right though is that this life is no mistake, it’s not random, it’s not just because, it’s all for a reason but it goes further than that…is the reason an illusion? Is the quest for finding the truth the distraction that is in front of us? Reality is electricity in its simplest form yet we fail to see it because we look at books for answers. Let me explain my thoughts and opinions on it (or at least some of it)…
First I think it would be sensible to try and distinguish what the mind possibly is before we jump in. The mind (IMO) is the connection between the brain and reality…in other words it’s the connection that provides order to chaos in existence. The brain is physicality, it has substance, its measurable, it can be quantified, and we know it exists through perception. (For arguments sake we’ll remain local) Reality is physicality, it also has substance, its measurable and it can be quantified. But what is reality? Is reality the light? The smells? The sounds? Or is reality everything you can perceive in one shape or another? Reality is what your brain interprets through your 5 senses. Example, if we were all deaf, would there be sound? You would say yes there would, but how could you tell? You wouldn’t be able to hear it, but you could measure it, you could perceive it by watching animals making those sounds without hearing them…right? Well let’s take away another sense, would you be able to tell there was sound if you were also blind? Would you be able to see sound being created or measured? No…but you could feel the sound being created by vibration, so you still know it exists. So let’s take away the sense of touch (feeling). If you were blind, deaf and lost all sense of feeling, internal and external would sound still exist? You would say yes we just couldn’t quantify it anymore. Well we would be able to tell it existed for those that were born with the senses in the first place through memory but what about a child being born with no sight, hearing or sense of feeling what-so-ever. Would they be able to tell sound existed? No they wouldn’t…
So with this in mind, reality is merely interpretation by your brain and you mind. They work together, take away either and reality falls apart. Your brain receives electrical impulses along your nerves and interprets those into a recognisable reality. So when one of those sense is removed reality becomes distorted, the more you remove, the more distorted it becomes. So let’s assume you have NO senses at all. You can’t feel, see, hear, taste and touch. You are basically a being with no ability to tell where you are, what way you are, who you are, etc etc etc but you still have your mind. You still have your thoughts, your memories. Should you be born this way, would you know you were born? No you wouldn’t but others with their sense would know you were born, they could use their senses to tell you were born.
So when you try to realise that before life was nothingness and after life is nothingness, you are faced with the dilemma of how can you tell? If you were born without your senses would you know it? No, so does that mean that a life without sensing reality is the same as death? Your mind still exists…but you can’t perceive your existence.
For your mind to die with your body would indicate that your mind was created. For your mind to have been created would mean that it was made of something, and that something must be physical and measutrable.
Example:
Your home is a whole. But your home is built from ingredients, measurable ingredients, sand, cement, wood etc all coming together to make a whole. We know who created it through perception and reality.
What about your mind it isn’t made of any ingredients, it can’t be measured, it can’t be removed, it can’t be perceived but it exists…
So to say that the mind doesn’t exist before life and after life would be to say that the mind is finite. To say that the mind is finite would indicate that the mind was created and it will end, but to say the mind was created would indicated further that it had to be created by ingredients, further yet, to say the mind has ingredients would mean that something created it…
Since the mind isn’t measurable, perceivable etc. would indicate that it is indeed infinite, and that it wasn’t created nor will it end, nor does it exist in the future or the past but in an immeasurable way through purpose. That would show that death, birth and the bits before, after and in-between are all indeed occurring at the same time and its being measured through reality, it is an illusion that the mind organises and calms and will do for eternity and has done for eternity.
As the mind is infinite, it shows that we exist and don’t exist at the same time, we are here and not here, we are alive and dead…
Will our mind continue after death, yes it will because it is here now, so it must be here then and before

Hope this makes sense to some of you; it’s complicated to write in words! Any opinions would be welcome!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
There is no beginning or end, there just is, the fact that there was nothing means there was everything, i believe this.
I prescribe to the theory of chaos (not evil) as the melting pot of exsistance.
my signature sums it up, from chaos we come, we live together and coexist, then we return to the chaos to reborn as a new part of the whole, what level or place we arrive at.. well thats the mystery for me, i choose not to remember one to the next.. i like the ride to feel new each time.
peace

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Brillant post, i was just thinking about having no senses last night while trying to sleep it was really bugging me, strange to see a thread about it today anyway i was with you all the way until near the end around this part:

Since the mind isn’t measurable, perceivable etc. would indicate that it is indeed infinite, and that it wasn’t created nor will it end, nor does it exist in the future or the past but in an immeasurable way through purpose. That would show that death, birth and the bits before, after and in-between are all indeed occurring at the same time and its being measured through reality, it is an illusion that the mind organises and calms and will do for eternity and has done for eternity. As the mind is infinite, it shows that we exist and don’t exist at the same time, we are here and not here, we are alive and dead… Will our mind continue after death, yes it will because it is here now, so it must be here then and before

I was wondering if you or someone else cound explain this in more 'simpler' terms

I would have thought the mind was measureable in some way.
I also have a real problem with infinite.
edit on 16-5-2011 by CharterZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CharterZZ

Well the way i see it is that our mind is like a sensor, a small part of a big machine, so while it can be measured as such, we cant perceive how it connects to the rest of the universe as a whole. and when we move on back to the chaos that we are born from we become part of the whole again. bringing back a new set of sense..
but thats just the way i see it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
My understanding of reality goes like this and includes implications for pre and post life.

All is one. Your brain perceives this great ONE life to make you think that you are a separate entity. This is not the case. We are the Earth and beyond. When you die, you live on as me and return to the "river of life", which is the ONE life of all that is. Do you see? There is no such thing is death. All is one.

You are more than your body. You are a part of the whole. That whole is your nature and the source of your life and is your life. All is one.

Everything is alive because you are alive and you exist as part of everything. Do you see?
edit on 16-5-2011 by smithjustinb because: addition.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
just don't bother trying to find the answer to what happens after we die
just live your life do what you want, enjoy it!
You will learn what happens once you die. Don't commit suicide though!

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CharterZZ

Brillant post, i was just thinking about having no senses last night while trying to sleep it was really bugging me, strange to see a thread about it today anyway i was with you all the way until near the end around this part:

Since the mind isn’t measurable, perceivable etc. would indicate that it is indeed infinite, and that it wasn’t created nor will it end, nor does it exist in the future or the past but in an immeasurable way through purpose. That would show that death, birth and the bits before, after and in-between are all indeed occurring at the same time and its being measured through reality, it is an illusion that the mind organises and calms and will do for eternity and has done for eternity. As the mind is infinite, it shows that we exist and don’t exist at the same time, we are here and not here, we are alive and dead… Will our mind continue after death, yes it will because it is here now, so it must be here then and before

I was wondering if you or someone else cound explain this in more 'simpler' terms

I would have thought the mind was measureable in some way.
I also have a real problem with infinite.
edit on 16-5-2011 by CharterZZ because: (no reason given)

I honestly cant put it any simpler because its very difficult for me to explain.

Another question that i stumbled across as i was trying to answer my own questions was, if your born with no sight, hearing and ability to talk, how do you think? you cant think in pictures, you cant think in words....do you have the ability to think or is thinking the result of perception?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ive been studying thissame topic for overa decade now, reading from all dif sources, experiantial wisdom from meditations, and scienctific studies.

Let me tell you what i woud bet all of my chips on (life savings, car, house, job,and everything i own) here it goes:

When a thought occurs, awareness is aware of this thought. There is a distinct differencebetween the mind with its thoughts and the awareness that is aware of this mind. Almost all the major religions and philosphers eventually discusses this distinction.

So it seems that mind is brain based and dies with the physical body, but awareness itself is the soul and eternal.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by foreshadower99

Are you talking about consciousness? That is different than the mind.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Ive been studying thissame topic for overa decade now, reading from all dif sources, experiantial wisdom from meditations, and scienctific studies.

Let me tell you what i woud bet all of my chips on (life savings, car, house, job,and everything i own) here it goes:

When a thought occurs, awareness is aware of this thought. There is a distinct differencebetween the mind with its thoughts and the awareness that is aware of this mind. Almost all the major religions and philosphers eventually discusses this distinction.

So it seems that mind is brain based and dies with the physical body, but awareness itself is the soul and eternal.

i have thought long and hard through meditation and study of quantum physics along with controlled psychadelics to try to understand these matters, never the less it is not an easy concept to grasp seeing as how far ahead of its time it is, im glad to see im not the only one who is relizing these things,

alot of these relizations came to me in the midst of my electricians class, ive been studying electrical theory for a while now and i relize that exsistance is a continuos cycle, the best way i can describe it is the earth is one big electromagnet, and its true we can be electricuted therefore the human body is a conductor, this "awareness" i belive is a part we retain from our previous "whole" state. each peice is an indivual new "awareness" i belive that our energy form down to its simplist form is the electron circling the proton and the nutron trying to forever return to its whole state. perhaps the neutron(earth) and the electron (awareness) were once whole and the proton(perceived thoughts) caused us to repel from the nutron it can then combine wit the nutron taking our place on it, so basicly, first there was "awareness" i belive this "awareness" had infinate potential to perceive any reality it chose,but theres always a bigger fish right, so it started growing in a linear fashon out of nesesity, before our awareness ever sprouted arms or legs it probably sprouted a conscousness (the replacement of the awareness in the physical relm with perceived thought) and its been snowballing(evolving) ever since, im sorry if the writing seems unorganized i have alot of thoughts on this subject, its actualy become a bit of obsession and my statements dont always align with my true point, i kinda feel as tho it would be better unobserved, all this info is in all of us, if you think with your awareness rather then your subcocal thoughts you can get it, this part of the person has been long forgotten since our awareness could only observe itself, it needed to grow a new part that could observe everything else. but wev over used it and its all we know how to operate nowa days.

new topics

top topics

join