It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me work out this new theory.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Observation #1. Many times I've seen people with strikingly similar physical traits driving the same kind of car.

Observation #2. I've lived in the same building for ten years. Across the street from me, in the second floor apartment, renters have come and gone as numerous as the changing seasons. And yet, not ONE family has ever put curtains in the windows.

Observation #3. I live in what we call the Veteran's Mansion. There are 21 rooms, and I am not the only one to notice that when a room is vacated, the next person to move in has so many similar character traits as the person that occupied the room before him. For example, I knew the guy that lived in my room before me because I was staying in a different room for a few years. This fellow was a heavy gambler, and so am I (though I'm cutting back now). In other rooms there has been one drug addict after another. Another room, one alcoholic after another. There are two bedrooms on the opposite sides of a kitchen area, and it seems to be guaranteed that the personalities occupying these rooms will not like each other at all.

Observation #4. Years ago I owned a pizza shop. I happened to notice that if the first customer of the day ordered a steak sub, then steak subs would be the food theme for the day. If the first customer ordered a hamburger with fries, then that was the popular choice of the day.
---------------------------------------------
I would be eager to hear if anyone else has noticed such repititious human behavior. These coincedences don't happen all the time, but obviously enough times for me to notice. So, post your theories, because to be honest I'm completely baffled by it.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I worked part-time for around two years as a short order cook at a local bar & grill, and you are correct. For some reason, on various days, various items on the menu would be hotter than others. For example, we had two types of philly sandwiches, one was your typical steak the other was chicken. Rarely did the chicken one sell, but on occasion, for some reason everyone would want one on the same day. This was always a subject of conversation in the kitchen when we would notice it was occurring.

Good topic, never would have thought to bring it up even though I've noticed it.

Then again, this might be the ol' "mmm...that looks good, I'll have what he/she's having" symptom.
edit on 14-5-2011 by Yfactor1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
"Nothing is real" -The Beatles

There's your answer. When things that should be random are demonstrably not, it's a clue to the unreality of 'reality.'

One may argue that we simply don't fully comprehend reality, and I'll grant that that's a possibility, but I prefer to view the whole mess as being as insubstantial as a dream, and about as meaningful.

Layers upon layers of nothingness, till one forgets they made it all up. Hiding here from the nothingness (or worse) that is represented by the concept of "God."

Patterns in the chaos present and fade before anyone can grasp the implications.

edit on 14-5-2011 by joechip because: spelling

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Possibly it has something to do with your sense of smell, on a subconscious level.

The alcoholic or someone predisposed to heavy drinking moves into the room and their brain processes the faint smell of alcohol causing them to crave a drink. The same should be consistent for drug addicts.

Also I could see that working for food as well. You go into a shop, you are hungry you smell a steak sandwich or a burger and you think to yourself "hell yeah, I want one of those"

Just an idea.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Observation #4. Years ago I owned a pizza shop. I happened to notice that if the first customer of the day ordered a steak sub, then steak subs would be the food theme for the day. If the first customer ordered a hamburger with fries, then that was the popular choice of the day.
---------------------------------------------
I would be eager to hear if anyone else has noticed such repititious human behavior. These coincedences don't happen all the time, but obviously enough times for me to notice. So, post your theories, because to be honest I'm completely baffled by it.

So what is your theory? Yes it is true..my husbands family owns a restaurant. I remember our first year we would sell fish n chips gallor then wham one day everyone that came in wants the pastrami sandwich! we run out!
It happened that way all the time. Plus everyone decides they are hungry at once, not necesarily noon but wham at 1 pm or 12.45 whatever all at once...why... weirdness.

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So what is your theory? reply to post by Char-Lee

What is my theory? Right now it's nothing more than there's something here that seems to defy Free Will, and makes us connected in ways that I don't understand.

Many people believe that our mood can be affected by the moon. By the lack of sunlight in winter. But, why would family after family go without putting SOMETHING in their windows (curtains, sheets, cardboard...). Why would those with an apparent aversion to curtains always find this one apartment? What do these separate families have in common? I really don't know.

What would compel a majority of us to order the same food in a restaurant? I don't know. Someone suggested that people smell a certain food and decide to choose that, but I've never smelled any one certain food in a restaurant. Well, except for fish.

Why did I just notice that in the rules above this field, the word 'provide' is mispelled? It's here: Respect: Give credit where credit is due, please do not paste entire pieces content from other sites, privide a short salient snippet and link to the source. I've been here a hundred times and never noticed it. Why now?

I dunno. Maybe it's something to think about. Maybe it's nothing.

edit on 5/14/2011 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
So what is your theory? reply to post by Char-Lee

What is my theory? Right now it's nothing more than there's something here that seems to defy Free Will, and makes us connected in ways that I don't understand.

Many people believe that our mood can be affected by the moon. By the lack of sunlight in winter. But, why would family after family go without putting SOMETHING in their windows (curtains, sheets, cardboard...). Why would those with an apparent aversion to curtains always find this one apartment? What do these separate families have in common? I really don't know.

What would compel a majority of us to order the same food in a restaurant? I don't know. Someone suggested that people smell a certain food and decide to choose that, but I've never smelled any one certain food in a restaurant. Well, except for fish.

Why did I just notice that in the rules above this field, the word 'provide' is mispelled? It's here: Respect: Give credit where credit is due, please do not paste entire pieces content from other sites, privide a short salient snippet and link to the source. I've been here a hundred times and never noticed it. Why now?

I dunno. Maybe it's something to think about. Maybe it's nothing.

I think it is something...I have thought about it before too. We just keep using the word weird and I wish someone could come up with some ideas. Intersting thread, thanks.

edit on 5/14/2011 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i have been in the food service industry for 20 years, and a bartender for 12. all the things mentioned are true. i recently owned my own bar / restaurant, people thought i was an idiot half the time because i would run out of certain menu items....which 90% of the time i had plenty, i.e. enough so i'm not throwing lots away, but enough for an average night. But at least once a week it would be like a flash mob of people wanting one thing only.

Or, when i had an extra amount of wings, the place would be dead, but if i was low on wings i would be super busy and often run out.

I have also noticed that there is very little genetic diversity. i was talking with my mother about this the other day.

i have bartended/waited tables in three states, Connecticut, Colorado, and Pennsylvania. I could lump vast majorities of the population into a very small number of categories based on appearance. Similarly, those people who resemble one another, also would act in a very similar manner.

Many times a weeks i have trouble remembering where i am when i see a familiar stranger. (more so where i know the person from)

It's all very interesting, and gives a lot of credence to the matrix theory imo. (the matrix program is being overrun with copies because of the sheer number of people)

new topics

top topics

join