It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWJD - What Would Jefferson Do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I considered writing a long introduction to this thread, but decided that Jefferson's words speak for themselves, giving us a deeper understanding of just how desperate our condition as a nation has become. As you read the words below, please consider using your voice and vote to make a difference.

“We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.” Thomas Jefferson

Quotes from a true American

Current Wars: “If there is one principle more deeply rooted in the mind of every American, it is that we should have nothing to do with conquest.”

Education: “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.”

Obamacare: “I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”

Education: “Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.”

Governmental Control: “I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master.”

Economy: “It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.”

Tyranny: “Force is the vital principle and immediate parent of despotism.”

Activism: “Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.”

Corruption: “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.”

Corporate Influence: “I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.”

History: “History, in general, only informs us of what bad government is.”

War: “I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.”

Presidential Decree: “Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories.”

Freedom of the Press: “I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.”

Freedom of the Press: “Enlighten the people, generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like spirits at the dawn of day.”

Freedom of Speech: “All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”

Freedom of Expression: “The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.”

Taxes: “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.”

Equality: “All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression.”

Nationalism: “Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto.”

Militia: “Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.”

Militia: "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well organized and armed militia is their best security."

Monetary Policy: “I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.”

Securities: “Never spend your money before you have it.”

Trust: “The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.”

Nation Building: “Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.”

Truth: “It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”

Responsibility to the People: “Leave no authority existing not responsible to the people.”

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Now if we can get people in office seats to agree with the old as it WORKED, and right now its not working....for sure! We have to ask ourselves why though. Why is it we are going away from the old and ushering in a death sentence for our Country?? WTH are "We the people" to do as more and more I feel as though its all controlled and its out of our hands as it was for previous Presidents who tried to keep it the same or take us back to when laws passed did work.

Good post! I enjoy reading about real men who loved our Country and took pride in it. Now a days its just not so and makes me real uneasy to raise my children in the Land of the Free where I grew up and call home! It doesn't feel like home anymore! I feel like an outsider living in the land of Oz!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The problem is objectivism--viewing reality as an identity we own. Not only does this mindset cause us to grasp at our own souls as possessions, we tread on the dignity and rights of countless souls around us in the wake of our choices.

"Life requires a choice from each of us: Either we steal away the gift of life as a possession through egoism, or we honor God by paying the gift forward for the good of others through altruism. Stealing gives the reward of what is taken. Giving pays back abundantly and endlessly, across many lives and throughout many lifetimes. The choice should be easy to make when viewed according to the truth of where the soul resides. Law is an unnecessary boundary for the altruistic individual." LINK

Originally posted by MamaJ

Now if we can get people in office seats to agree with the old as it WORKED, and right now its not working....for sure! We have to ask ourselves why though. Why is it we are going away from the old and ushering in a death sentence for our Country?? WTH are "We the people" to do as more and more I feel as though its all controlled and its out of our hands as it was for previous Presidents who tried to keep it the same or take us back to when laws passed did work.

Good post! I enjoy reading about real men who loved our Country and took pride in it. Now a days its just not so and makes me real uneasy to raise my children in the Land of the Free where I grew up and call home! It doesn't feel like home anymore! I feel like an outsider living in the land of Oz!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Now that my friend is the best quote I have ever heard in regards to free will. SO CORRECT in the realm of reality! I am off to read the link!! Thank you again for the education this morning! Its quite refreshing!

posted on May, 14 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thank you. All the articles from my blog can be found here. LINK

Originally posted by MamaJ

Now that my friend is the best quote I have ever heard in regards to free will. SO CORRECT in the realm of reality! I am off to read the link!! Thank you again for the education this morning! Its quite refreshing!

top topics

join