It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks: U.S. ready to go to war for Arctic oil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
max & stacy

Stacy Summary: I’ve had my eye on this story for quite a few years now. I pitched a film to Aljazeera in 2007 that would have seen us go to the Arctic and layout the potential for conflict there. I was inspired to pitch the project while researching our film, Peaked. During the research, I came across a U.S. military assessment (I believe it was a Navy report) in which they cite potential conflict with Canada over rights to the Northwest Passage

* Wikileaks: Clinton fighting secret Arctic oil wars

As Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrives in the Arctic ostensibly to discuss preserving its unique environment, a disturbing series of communications revealed today by wikileaks tell another story.

These cables confirm what we have long been saying: several nations - including the US - appear ready to go to war over Arctic oil.

For years now, the military forces of Arctic nations like Russia, the US, Norway, and even Canada and Denmark have been watching the ice melt in the far north and getting ready to assert claims to the oil and gas resources that have previously been covered by ice.

www.greenpeace.org...
edit on 12-5-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I wonder how much more melting it will take before the oil is accessible. Hopefully that potential war won't happen for a while.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
it wouldn't be the first time america went to war for oil. but the 2 main opponents are canada and russia.

canada isn't much of a threat, since any typical american civil war re-enactors could effectively wipe out the canadian military in a matter of hours.

and russia has enough untapped oil to last several life times, plus putin is the type of guy that can be dealt with.

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
so let me get this straight.

a thread whose author who has che guevara as his avatar

is worried about a war for oil in the arctic.

then the global warming crowd comes to cheer him on.

please i have had enough.

do people not know the history of the mass murder of che?

i swear

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
You think Americans would go to war with Canada? They're practically brothers.

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I recently read where the Trans Alaska pipeway is running at 70 percent flow and expected to reach 50 percent within 3 years. North slope is running out of oil and the gas companies are not drilling new test wells. That oil has to come from somewhere, maybe that's why we're going after Libya.
Of all our natural resources oil has sure put the world at the greatest odds with each other.
The next wars will be fought over fresh water.

new topics

top topics

join