It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississipi River Reaches Peak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
OK firstly i dont have a link because i saw this on the breaking news ticker on the BBC website. could not find any more news about this but wanted to put it out there for everybody to see.

SO what exactly does it mean when the river has reached its peak. What happens next? Im not from America so i have no idea of the local geography and what this might mean for some of my fellow Americans. I would appreciate it if somebody with knowledge on the subject and what is currently happening over there can come and advise what will happen and who will be affected.

Stay safe

MooseVernel

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by moosevernel

I believe it takes a few days for rivers and streams to crest or reach there peak. This is when they have reached the highest point they are going to reach given the amount of water.
But I am only guessing out of memory for when this happened near where I lived.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

well apprently according to the bbc ticker the mississipi river has reached this point...so what comes now?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It is supposed to crest again next week. More storms on the way for them as well!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

It recedes unless more rain occurs to make things worse.

On the bright side at least they didn't get softball sized hail!
edit on 5/11/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
well found an article on reuters saying it has already crested 10 days early, im guessing this could be bad?

especially if more storms are on the way

Mississippi flood passes record level at Natchez

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by moosevernel
reply to post by AnteBellum

well apprently according to the bbc ticker the mississipi river has reached this point...so what comes now?

Likely it'll take a few weeks now for the water to seep into the ground, hopefully it will seep back into the ground....

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

hopefully it will, i just remember some people being concerned about this last week on ATS and didnt see a thread on it so i thought i would let people know

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they are either getting more rain or about to get more rain soon. It's weird to me that I don't really hear much about this on the news. Especially since the damage to the crop land is going to be VERY bad.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

yeah thats what i thought too, of you read the reuters article i posted, well it speaks for itself, this should be getting more attention

The flood, the result of weeks of rain plus melt from an unusually snowy winter, has resulted in the evacuations of thousands of people along the river and its tributaries and is expected to submerge 3 million acres of farmland in Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas alone.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Check the Weather.com radar maps etc.

There is a huge storm front laying north to south, several hundred miles in diameter, stretching from like Austin TX all the way past northern Oklahoma.

This storm is heading straight for the Mississippi River zone. It will probably arrive within 36hours to 48hours.

Anyone in these regions needs to get informed and make preparations in case they are in a zone that is prone to potential flooding.

The flood issue with that region is not over yet, and there will be more problems as the days pass onwards. Stay vigilant and keep safe.

Adding Weather.com radar map LINK
edit on 11-5-2011 by muzzleflash because: Edit to add link to Weather.com Radar map

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

well said..!! Although the authorities say it is going as planned and they are opening the flood runoff and everything will be okay

That makes me even more anxious tbh

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
On the 'DON'T BE DISTRACTED - MISSISSIPPI LEVEES' (etc) thread, they are saying that flooding has reached the size of Connecticut or even Italy. There's no where for the water to go as the land is already so saturated and rain just keeps on coming. It makes it more and more possible to believe the talk that all this flooding could create a new landscape as the Mississippi carves her own map...

Prayers to all affected
edit on 11-5-2011 by 5senses because: add

edit on 11-5-2011 by 5senses because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Hi, I live along the Missouri river which feeds into the Mississippi, When a river reaches its peak, the poster earlier is correct. It means the river has risen as high as its going to given the amount of water flowing down from upriver, when that happens, the river begins to recede. Meaning, the water soaks into the ground, some evaporates, and eventually the river returns to its normal size-UNLESS, more rain falls farther up river. (Which by the way is exactly what is happening now), or more snow is received in the higher elevations, and begins once again to melt( which is also happening now). Throughout flood stages, a river can reach its peak, and recede several times, with each successive peak being higher than the last, or lower than the last, depending upon how much water is flowing into it from above.

new topics

top topics

join