It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The planes don't fly like that... or the incindent at Chkalovsk (Russia) on 29/04/2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
There's not much information available, but I thought that it may be interesting.

On 29/04 the plane Tu-154B-2 RA-85563 after about 10 years of "conservation" should had flied to some other base (can't find the exact name right now) for complete overhaul. But just after taking off something went terribly wrong...

There are a few videos on YouTube showing how the plane was swinging in all 4 directions like a piece of paper... It's a miracle how the pilots managed to land safely.

some information in Russian here - www.gazeta.ru... (some translating service needed). - The same article through GoogleTranslate
edit on 11-5-2011 by AstraCat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
awesome find!!

maybe a downburst or wind related

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
from youtube comments:

@malyy5 The plane was made in 1982. Was in operation until 2005. 29th april 2011 the pilots were ordered to fly it to Samara for repairs. Due to imidiate breakage of automatic control system (АБСУ) right after the take-off the plane lost almost all controls. Pilots had to use the engines in order to make right or left turns. They are true professionals. My bow to them!

Truly amazing they landed that nightmare in one piece.
edit on 11-5-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
holy crap! what are burning for fuel in that thing, vodka!?

let's take a bus ride thru the Andes at night, next!

wow!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
im gettin sick while watching this :S....

omg...unbelievable he could land that kind of paperplane..

imagine the people inside the plane....oh my...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Star and flag for a nice find, astracat!

That is some crazy looking flying going on there. I bet the crew wished that the plane had been built with ejection seats. I wonder what the smoke was from at the far end of the runway?

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

there were no people inside except pilots. The plane should have been transported to Samara for repair, but instead of expensive transporting by land somebody decided that it could fly all the way till the repair shop.

Originally posted by butcherguy I wonder what the smoke was from at the far end of the runway?

As I understood the plane rolled a little away from the runway after landing, maybe the smoke was related to that...
But in the end the plane and pilots were absolutely safe.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguyI bet the crew wished that the plane had been built with ejection seats.

thats what i thought....or just parachutes.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
BTW, even keeping in mind that the incident was awful it shows that soviet planes are not so bad, they are really flying even when all the automatics don't work. I've read that some other popular planes would just crash down in the same situation.

But anyway there was a law forbidding or going to forbid (don't remember exactly) using Tu-154 at all...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
dutch roll

That's not some difficult flying technique, just most off the automatics off or working incorrectly and very well-skilled pilots trying to keep the plane in the air and land safely.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat

there were no people inside except pilots. The plane should have been transported to Samara for repair, but instead of expensive transporting by land somebody decided that it could fly all the way till the repair shop.

Originally posted by butcherguy I wonder what the smoke was from at the far end of the runway?

As I understood the plane rolled a little away from the runway after landing, maybe the smoke was related to that...
But in the end the plane and pilots were absolutely safe.
The smoke was visible while the plane was in the air on the first and second videos though.

I was wondering if they had crashed one already and decided to try a second on out.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AstraCat

The ferry flight was supposed to highlight any issues the aircraft had, so there was a reason the aircraft was being flown other than transport costs (which would have been cheaper anyway once you took into account the cost of the flight, plus the cost of insurance etc - this flight would have come to $30K or $40K easily.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

The video shows that this particular plane better be transported by land than by air... Maybe more expensive but not that dangerous...

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AstraCat

This reminds me of some of the videos they made us watch when I was in flight attendant training. They basically tried to scare the hell out of us by making us watch everything that COULD go wrong, to make sure we wanted the job. It amazes me that there are pilots out there talented enough to pull off something like this! If only they all were!

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!

top topics

join