It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On this date back in 1893

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The US supreme court declared the tomato a vegetable.

This argument has had legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled the controversy on May 10, 1893 by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)).[48] The holding of the case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purpose.

Right when I thought I had everything figured out..........
edit on 10-5-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I remember when i was little and ignorant, or rather more ignorant and younger, i got so confused at the significance between vegetable and fruit.

After i got over the fact that vegetables can taste sweet and fruit can be bitter it was all confusion and i just named them all vegetables. Unless of course i'm at a get together and i say who wants fruits.

Actually now that i think about it, it only matters when someone else is around. They're all plants. Ugh. :|

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
The US supreme court declared a tomato a vegetable.

This argument has had legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled the controversy on May 10, 1893 by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)).[48] The holding of the case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purpose.

Right when I thought I had everything figured out..........

The Conspiracy!!!

Did you know cottons a vegetable as well? :O

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Isn't it that fruit bears seeds. (I think bananas have a seed at the bottom, could be wrong).

Veg doesn't have seeds.

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
Isn't it that fruit bears seeds. (I think bananas have a seed at the bottom, could be wrong).

Veg doesn't have seeds.

I think veg have seeds

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zirazira

Which ones?

Broccoli?
Carrot?
Potato?
Maybe the plant's they grow on flower and that flower contains the seed but not the vegetable itself.
All fruit contains it's own seed. ie. Tomatoes.

top topics

join