It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How often do you read?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hello. As the title suggests, how often do you read books? And that sort of books do you enjoy?

I read 95% Stephen King.. stopped reading for a while and just started u again last week. It feels good to get lost in worlds other than ours, if only temporarily.

Well, happy weekend ATS

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

I try to read every day. Usually during a weekend I can get a pretty good amount of reading time in but that time suffers during the week. Typically read, Philosophical, Metaphysical, Ancient cultures/religions. Lately I have been engrossed in occult writings such as HP Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine and Manly P. Halls books.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I make a concerted effort to read daily and am notorious for juggling several books at once. Currently I'm reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie and just finished The Word & The Void trilogy by Terry Brooks. Every now and again I'll indulge in a trash romance.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
i read daily.
food science books
bukowski/ginsberg
c.s.lewis
biographies

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I try to read daily, but really it's up to whats going on in my life.

Been reading a lot of the Warhammer 40,000 Black Library stuff lately.
Just started The Grey Knights omnibus.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Juggler of books here as well. My night stand is littered with them all.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I used to read all the time, and I miss it. I've read countless books, but do to heavily drinking, I've forgotten most of the titles. The saying, "I forgot more than you've ever learned" comes to mind.

I admit, I did get alot of reading in when I was locked up.

I am reading a book currently, though. 'If You Really Loved Me'. Crime based on a true story. This particular guy rivals Charles Manson's rep.
edit on 6-5-2011 by AmrikazNightmar3 because: none

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

every day all day everything anything

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I really enjoy reading and have read a lot of Stephen King books, my favorite is probably "Thinner". I have read all of the Anne Rice books that I can get my hands on, Harry Potter, Sooki Stackhouse series, and of course Stephanie Meyers. I am currently looking for a new series to read, and as you can tell I like fiction. Any suggestions?? By the way, great topic

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I used to read Stephen King until he got lazy.

Had to say it but as for reading, I have found a great escape in Prehistoric Fiction such as:

William Sarabande (Pen name for Joan Lesley Hamilton Cline) (First Americans)

W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear (The First North Americans series)

Sue Harrison (Ivory Carver Trilogy) and many more.

Jean Auel (Earth Children Series)

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I didn't read so much before, then I got adobe, and kindle for my laptop, and I have more books then I can read.

I started reading Lies my teacher told me, and been on that for a while, but I have a very large collection, I am still reading "My Cosmic trigger finger is broken" Robert Anton Wilson, and "Be Wise as Serpents" Fritz Springmeier.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by newsoul

If you like King a few of my favorites are Eyes of the Dragon and Under the Dome.

For those of you who read multiple books, do you have set times/hours when you read each book or whenever you have time? Have not tried to read 2 books, sometimes i get to into one book to want to stop reading it.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnknownPhilosopher

A friend has suggested I start using a Kindle or download the software for my PC. It's a tempting thought, however I enjoy the feel of a book in my hands and find the experience of turning each page to be soothing in and of itself. Call me old-fashioned.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

I like having the book in hand as well. I had a kindle for a little bit but got rid of it. I couldn't get over the fact that If I lost it, I would have lost all the books I had purchased on there.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

No set times, I just read whichever book I am more in the mood for at that particular time.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I read books everyday! I mainly like to reads books that are a series. I just hate when good books end! But I will read anything! I'm not picky about the genre as long as it's good! If I had to choose I would say Romance is my favorite. The Argeneau series by Lynsay Sands is one of my favorites from this genre. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series from J.R WARD is another. There are so many good books I could list them off for days!!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I love Stephen King as well and read him avidly when I was younger. I also love John Saul, Dean Koontz, Bentley Little and really any kind of horror novels.

I wish I could make more time to read. I go through spells where I won't read for about a year, then I'll pick up a book and can't put it down until it's finished a couple days later. I used to have a HUGE library of books here but we had a flood in our basement. They were all down there in built in shelving and I had nowhere else to store them so I donated them to charity. I miss them terribly
There was enough there that I'd collected over about 25 years that I could pick one at random and reread it without remembering every detail. I've started shopping at flea markets, garage sales and used book stores as I can't afford to buy new these days. The prices are OUT freaking RAGEOUS!!

Michelle

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

A friend has suggested I start using a Kindle or download the software for my PC. It's a tempting thought, however I enjoy the feel of a book in my hands and find the experience of turning each page to be soothing in and of itself. Call me old-fashioned.

One thing I am 100% sure of in life is that a book can never be replaced.

The look, feel, smell and warmth from a good book with dog-eared pages can never be copied.

Many people disagree but if the SHTF, I will find a good book amongst the rubble and toss the cracked, broken and power deleted kindle (or whatever else at the time).

To have 1,000 books in one is definitely a plus but that single, lone paperback is more comforting on a level not met or matched with tech.

Sometimes, technology isn't the best approach.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by maria_stardust

One thing I am 100% sure of in life is that a book can never be replaced.

The look, feel, smell and warmth from a good book with dog-eared pages can never be copied.

Many people disagree but if the SHTF, I will find a good book amongst the rubble and toss the cracked, broken and power deleted kindle (or whatever else at the time).

To have 1,000 books in one is definitely a plus but that single, lone paperback is more comforting on a level not met or matched with tech.

Sometimes, technology isn't the best approach.

I am very glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way!

I will never buy one of those things. They are just to impersonal to me.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I agree 100%. I can not stand audio books and would feel the same about a kindle I'm sure. I don't know what it is about holding a book in my hand...perhaps the smell, the feel I don't know. Besides, I spend enough time of my day staring at an illuminated screen, I don't want to do that in my "down time" too

Michelle

top topics

<<   2 >>

join