It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cinco de Mayo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Cinco de Mayo is a national holiday in Mexico which commemorates the victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza over the French expeditionary forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Mexico has provided the world a land of mystery and beauty,from the ancient toltecs ond olmecs to the mayans and aztecs,and the amazing structeres like the wonderous city of teotihuacan and the great pyramid of chula..European settlers came to mexico and nearly wiped out all natives and settled...Many years later after a few revolutions and what not mexico seperated itself from europe and became independent,a beautiful day in mexicos history...fast-forward about 150 years and you'll find a country that was once full of pride and rich culture with hard workers who lived well off the fruits of their labor,has now become the worlds largest warzones full of mass murders,political corruption and the leader of import/export of illegal narcotics,...How could such an amazing place have become such a hell-hole?

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by VicDiaz89

pyramid of cholula*

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I almost forgot today was Cinco De Mayo, thanks!

Time for a liquor store run, along with my excuse to drink tonight!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

i kind of noticed that it had gone under the radar with so much goin on in the world..Just felt that this day needed a little light given the many tragedies they are suffering with the cartels and low class poverty,plus the widespread wildfires...Lets not forget mexico..

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

It's hard for me to forget.

I live about as close as you do!

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

lol in az?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

No in the dreaded state on NM

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

haha hey whats that town in new mex called where people say they hear a constant humming or something.?

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Taos.

I am originally from NJ but I have been here in ABQ for a job 2 1/2 years now - and do not like it one bit!

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

thanks!i thought burque was pretty cool actually what dont you like about it?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Living 15 minutes outside Maharanee my whole life is hard to compete with. You have pretty much the entire world condensed in one city. The museums of natural history in ABQ, though great, takes 20 minutes to walk through in NYC you wouldn't be able to see everything in a day! NYC has more diversity, culture, selection of goods and things to do or go to. Don't get me wrong I don't hate it here but if you can't find something in town you have to drive an hour to the next city like Santa Fe. The town just ends about 20 minutes in every direction to a barren open desert, this is vastly different to NE living where you can drive through 50 towns and not know where one begins or ends.
Also the schools which my daughter needs to start soon are terrible ranked 50 out of 50. The dropout rate is near 60% and a high school teacher told me it is better to home school my child then put her in public school. The private schools here are marginally better then the public ones and still rank far below most other NE locations.
Sorry for the rant but it is time to move the family back to civilization, probably PA for it is cheaper to live, schools are great and it's not that far away from NYC for a day trip every other week or so.
Oh yea, everyone I know including my entire family is in NJ. This makes it hard also, here it is just me, wife and 2 kids.

new topics

top topics

join