It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical Marijuana progresses [in Connecticut], despite prosecution threats elsewhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Medical Marijuana progresses [in Connecticut], despite prosecution threats elsewhere

[url=http://www.ctmirror.org/story/12453/federal-prosecution-remains-uncertain-legislators-move-forward-medicinal-marijuana-propo]www.ctmirror.org[/ur l]

Top state lawmakers in Connecticut are pushing ahead with plans to legalize marijuana for medicinal use, despite recent warnings to officials in other states of possible federal prosecution.

"States have a right to decide this for themselves," said Michael P. Lawlor, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's senior criminal justice adviser.

Malloy and Democratic leaders are proposing allowing physicians to write prescriptions that would permit their patients to grow marijuana indoors.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Not a supporter of my new governor, but with how our previous governor treated the manner I'm more than pleased with this development.

I find it hilarious that in this instance, a republican (which the GOP in the state of CT are in the pockets of big pharma big time ) is advocating federal law whereas a democrat ( malloy, his attornies ) are advocating state law.

It's also interesting to note that the administration currently in place who previously said they would not raid dispensaries in California (which doesn't matter because they continued the raids after the fact anyways), is now openly going back on their word when states pass their own laws on the matter.

Between the new generation of voters, the people with a sane mind, the people with a sane mind who want to balance the budget, and the potheads out there who may have felt a little support from the first president since Washington that we can confirm smoked the dope and didn't give a #...in an America where his own base is increasingly agitated by his actions and independents seek some form of rationality elsewhere, one can wonder if it's wise the direction his administration continues to head down on another war we are involved in. Because hundreds of billions of dollars a year isn't a small amount.

[url=http://www.ctmirror.org/story/12453/federal-prosecution-remains-uncertain-legislators-move-forward-medicinal-marijuana-propo]www.ctmirror.org[/ur l]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Makes me wonder what the Fed has to fear from Marajuana use. I have some theories, based on my own experience, but as they are of a purely speculative nature (and a little wacky, I might add) I will not post them in this topic.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
Makes me wonder what the Fed has to fear from Marajuana use. I have some theories, based on my own experience, but as they are of a purely speculative nature (and a little wacky, I might add) I will not post them in this topic.

The real reasons do sound whacky if you try to explain them to average Mr. Joe B. Low. They think the mj law is there for the people's protection. The current laws do protect an illicit money-making machine. The laws also protect many industries that would fall to pieces if industrial hemp was wide-open for the producing.

After that the reasons get very zany. Pot prohibition provides many paydays for many people. De-criminalize it and it is just another backyard weed with many uses, none of which would make the money it does while prohibited. Also it provides government an entry into your private affairs, whether or not you are a user - enough people are which justifies placing everyone under suspicion.

More on-topic, Pharma does not want to permit any kind of backyard panacea that might prompt someone not to use and purchase their products. Home remedies are very frowned-upon, especially when they work.

edit on 5-5-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
About time.

Malloy has been giving CT hell with taxes and state jobs but to actually make a sensible drug policy, well, that is why I voted for him over that other guy who toted the same idiotic line regarding marijuana that most moral fascists adhere to.

top topics

join