It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will you do when the bombs start dropping?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
By bombs, I mean nuclear bombs.
I've been thinking about this for the past few days, and I can't really imagine what I would do. The fear you would face, the instant realization that your world has been completely changed in the matter of seconds?
I think I would do something like this:

1)a: If I was in the city the bomb went off in, find the nearest gun and shoot myself
1)b: If not in the city the bomb went off in follow the next steps
2): Immediately turn on all taps in the house, and fill as much water as possible
3) Build a mini fallout shelter in the middle of my house to provide as much protection from the radiation for the next 2 weeks
4) Gather up all my food
5) Gather all the blankets, and other equipment I would need
6) Seal off the house, tape up all and any air vents/windows/air intakes
7) Hole up in the shelter for 2-3 weeks ( or as long as possible )

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

If you were in the bomb the city went off in, you wouldn't have time to do anything.

Look into Nagasaki and Hiroshima. They were small compared to what is out there now.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

I am taking it that the bombs start dropping and time stands still until everyone is prepared right?? Bombs don't drop and wait for you to gather food, water, and build a bomb shelter in your living room...Sorry

I would just grab my wife, pray, enjoy your last few seconds as a human...

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
i would not stay in any town or city. i would be leaving for the mountains and forest.. id pack up all that i need and i would leave

link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
By bombs, I mean nuclear bombs.
I've been thinking about this for the past few days, and I can't really imagine what I would do. The fear you would face, the instant realization that your world has been completely changed in the matter of seconds?
I think I would do something like this:

1)a: If I was in the city the bomb went off in, find the nearest gun and shoot myself
1)b: If not in the city the bomb went off in follow the next steps
2): Immediately turn on all taps in the house, and fill as much water as possible
3) Build a mini fallout shelter in the middle of my house to provide as much protection from the radiation for the next 2 weeks
4) Gather up all my food
5) Gather all the blankets, and other equipment I would need
6) Seal off the house, tape up all and any air vents/windows/air intakes
7) Hole up in the shelter for 2-3 weeks ( or as long as possible )

You raise a very serious and frightening question, but the truth is you wouldn't do anything except melt if you were in the same city as the nuclear bomb when it goes off. Even if you were several miles outside of the initial blast radius you would probably die of radiation poisoning within days of the blast. Now if you live on the other side of the country you may have a chance to somewhat prepare, but think about the mass chaos that would ensue...looting, riots, violent crime, etc... so you would want to already have everything that you need in your house and the means to protect it from those that would kill you and steal it. I think your best bet is to already have a fallout shelter prepared so that you can immediately get to it in the event of a detonation. Have all of the supplies in the shelter already, so all you have to do is get in and close the door.

link   
Hold up a trampoline.

Seriously though, depending on where I was in relation to the explosion, I'd do a number of things, and all of them include moving around the wind. I don't think I'd hang out in my home. If you're in range to be immediately affected by radiation you're screwed anyway. If you have a few moments before the radiation arrives, I think I would hit the road rather than spend the time fortifying my windows and doors against air getting in. I have a couple of NBC suits, so I'd haul ass out of range. I'd likely head south, find a beach, snag a boat and hit the sea.

This scenario is based on what I would do, living in a rural community, and not at ground zero. If you're in the city? Hold up a smores so you've got something to eat for the road.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What do you mean, would do, I'm doing it right now in the bunker.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well I live in pennsylvania and there are alot of amish in my area. First thing i would do if we lost the power grid would go to them because they have tradition and survivability built into that life style. the loss of electrecity wouldnt be that big of an issue for them. Instead of thinking of myself id go to the amish communities and offer what supplys i have in return for them to teach me how to live off the land and farm for myself. I would offer what ever service i have for a meal a day honestly at that point. It would be a good way to rebuild community. if looters came from another area with weapons id treat them as humans an try and offer the same advice. Id just say theres no need for guns i can try and teach you how to farm and live off the land, i can try and promise a meal a day and instead use your weapons for our protection and live here in peace. if fall out is in our water supplies and soil so be it if anything grows ill eat it if its my time to go then thats that. I don't enjoy the whole bunker up and fend for myself idea if a large nuclear apocalypse were to happen id rather have people join up and figure out how to stay sane and survive.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
By chance does anyone know the radius of destruction caused by a nuclear weapon like a tactical nuke or ballistic missle with a nuclear warhead.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I would just go outside and enjoy all the pretty colors. Walk around the streets and watch everyone rip out their hair haha. probably go to a Lamborghini dealer and spend my last few hours traveling at mach 2 in a stolen car. I dunno... maybe have some end of the world sex orgy in the middle of the street with like 50 ppl.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I would calmly sit at home and watch everyone panic, knowing that it was all a charade meant to achieve some higher purpose of TPTB.

Then I would probably die because it was real.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xM0J0xJ0J0x
By chance does anyone know the radius of destruction caused by a nuclear weapon like a tactical nuke or ballistic missle with a nuclear warhead.

About a seven mile radius (+/-) given the actual size of the warhead. The radiation will spread much further (a hundred miles?), but I don't know at what speed.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

You raise a very serious and frightening question, but the truth is you wouldn't do anything except melt if you were in the same city as the nuclear bomb when it goes off. Even if you were several miles outside of the initial blast radius you would probably die of radiation poisoning within days of the blast. Now if you live on the other side of the country you may have a chance to somewhat prepare, but think about the mass chaos that would ensue...looting, riots, violent crime, etc... so you would want to already have everything that you need in your house and the means to protect it from those that would kill you and steal it. I think your best bet is to already have a fallout shelter prepared so that you can immediately get to it in the event of a detonation. Have all of the supplies in the shelter already, so all you have to do is get in and close the door.

I have the perfect place to hold up in. Its actually where I plan to go once I see any rise in tensions, or If a nuke is detonated in some other country. Its 30 min drive from the nearest town, there's no people around for 1-3km, and my house has roll down shutters, and a perfect place to construct a shelter in the house that could fit 1-3 people.
As long as your not near the bomb when it goes off ( not near the concussion wave, or the initial release of gamma radiation ) you have a decent amount of time to get everything ready ( say 3 hours ? )
it takes approx. 30 min for the fallout ( from the bomb ) to reach the ground where the bomb is. So you have time for the jet streams to carry it.

If you aren't near the bombs ( I would say 300-400km [ you american do the conversion
] then your survival has a significant improvement. As long as your not near the bombs, fallout avoiding is pretty easy, all you need is mass and an air filter.

And yes I would love to have a fallout shelter, but lack of money doesn't help.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think the human survival instinct would deter you from shooting yourself. Especially if you had family, children that looked up to you and depended on you for their survival. What I would do would be my best...whatever it would take to survive is what I would do. Please, let's hope this never happens.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by J2288

You do realize there would be no living off the land, and no farming for the next 100-1000 years right....

reply to post by queenofsheba

I said i would only shoot myself if i was near the bombs. I'd rather die with a bullet to the brain, and risk the consequences then suffer the most excruciating pain for the next 1-3 weeks
edit on 4-5-2011 by thedeadwalkk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Assuming I survive I have my looting itinerary all planned.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I would down a bottle of vodka or some other strong booze and throw up, #@!% myself and pass out cold.I figure once that happens I won't be feeling much.
edit on 4-5-2011 by Jeremiah Johnson because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Pull a star closer UM JUST SAYEN it was asked.....

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I quit drinking and smoking years ago but I keep a stash.

I'd go out on the deck and fire one up and open a jar of Georgia Shine.

Then If I didn't die pretty soon after the attack I would carry out plan B and survive.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join