It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss identify nearly $1 billion assets to freeze,Theyre really trying to push Gadhafi over the edge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

GENEVA (AP) -- The Swiss government said Monday it has identified potential assets to be frozen worth 830 million Swiss francs ($957 million) belonging to Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi and the ousted presidents of Egypt and Tunisia.Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey, speaking at a diplomatic meeting in the Tunisian capital Tunis, said those include 360 million Swiss francs ($415 million) that may belong to Gadhafi or his entourage.

She said Switzerland had also linked some 410 million ($473 million) francs to former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and 60 million ($69 million) francs to Tunisia's deposed autocrat Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.

Switzerland has ordered banks and other financial institutions to freeze possible assets belonging to the three men and their key supporters to prevent the funds from being secretly withdrawn. The Swiss government has said that Tunisia and Egypt have already started legal proceedings to claim the assets.

The government added that neither country has provided the necessary evidence of possible criminal wrongdoing involving the money to start unblocking the frozen assets of the ousted presidents.
The Swiss government sent diplomatic cables to Tunisia and Egypt in late March explaining that they must submit evidence so authorities can decide if the offenses are punishable in Switzerland.

In both cases, the money will remain locked away for three years while the two countries satisfy the Swiss legal requirements.
....ARTICLE

I am one that believes there was no reason to start anything with Libya or Gadhafi in the first place and now if they were to freeze his assets then I think its gonna push him over the edge..I think that by doing this they will force Gadhafi to do something major to give them more of reason and excuses to go to war for what exactly? I know if I had that much money and it ended up being frozen I would go apes***...

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by gdaub23

Is that all? all those years in power and that is all he has to show for it? Where do you think the rest is?
edit on 2-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

join