It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral constructs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This is a difficult concept to comprehend, however I believe that many people here are ready to appreciate what I am going to explain, this is basically an evolutionary scale of our understanding of the forces that operate our universe.

Basically, we all have a kind of "moral construct" or perhaps, to use better words, we all have our own tennants of integrity, ideas in our minds that are based on some kind of sense of equality, some kind of principle that we live by. There are various angles that one can take, however, I find that people can be categorised in the following ways:

1) Belief that a negative action is caused/justified by a negative action and a positive action is caused/justified by a positive action. The primary tennant being free will.

2) A negative action is the result of the left side of a combination of a positive and negative action, and a positive action is the result of the right side of a combination of a positive action and a negative action. The primary tennant being the control of the senses.

3) A negative action is caused by a positive action and a positive action is caused by a negative action. The primary tennant being the acceptance of reality as it is.

In other words:

1) An eye for an eye
2) Yin and Yang
3) The paradox of existence

The solution to number 1) is to restrain oneself from negative actions and promote oneself to perform positive actions. The solution to number 2) is that every negative action has a positive spin and every positive action has a negative spin. The solution to number 3) is that there is no use in controlling our actions or holding our actions in retrospect, and thus we should simply remain neutral in our perception of reality and balanced in our actions both positive and negative.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
2) A negative action is the result of the left side of a combination of a positive and negative action, and a positive action is the result of the right side of a combination of a positive action and a negative action. The primary tennant being the control of the senses.

I largely agree with what you wrote, but I would have rephrased the second bullet point like so, "Any negative action can be interpreted positively and, vice-versa, any positive action negatively. For instance, 'John helps Jane get a job.' The positive interpretation is that John's a nice guy. A person with a negative outlook would sense something more perverse."

What's fascinating is that these positions are Cartesian in origin, but it's the interpenetration or the continuum that changes the interpretation of the Cartesian divider. Thanks for sharing with us.

edit to add:
Basically the three categories can be broken in to three maxims:
  1. Negative begets negative (i.e. %2B[-3%2C-4]]vector oriented ‒ purely Cartesian)
  2. Everything is shades of gray (i.e. bayesian / fuzzy ‒ interpenetrating and continuous)
  3. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction (i.e. equilibrium or zero-sum ‒ unity)

edit on 2-5-2011 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

join