It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Before criticizing a man, walk a mile in his shoes."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
"Before criticizing a man, walk a mile in his shoes." is so cliché that we've lost sight of how profound is its wisdom.

It's a cousin of Chesterton's "We ought to see far enough into a hypocrite to see even his sincerity."

And of course Jesus' "Love your enemies."

There are 6.5 billion of us, in bodies we didn't ask for, in families we didn't ask for, in economic circumstances we didn't ask for, in nations we didn't ask for, on a planet we didn't ask for, in a universe we didn't ask for. I am one such person, in circumstances I didn't ask for. My enemy is another, in circumstances he didn't ask for.

If you believe the only humane, just, or otherwise proper course of action is to annihilate your enemy, say so frankly. But then do not deny his individual humanity, or the blood on your hands, for you are lying only to yourself. At this point God laughs at you if you continue to profess a belief in "One big happy human family."

For "One big happy human family, minus everybody I disagree with" is quite comical indeed, however nobly I might word it in order to please my fellow humans or my own conscience.

edit on 24-4-2011 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
...cuz you'll be a mile away and have his shoes...

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
i am you....

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
What if his shoes are smelly?

Or uncomfortable?

Or are highheels?

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

hahahahaha yeah thats so damn true. Then you can say what you like as he's gotta cross all the glass you left behind. Sucker.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Dang it!! I was going to say that.

I used to be so tolerant and compromising when it came to dealings with my fellow man, but now I have learned that we as people are extremely flawed and are actively regressing and devolving into a species I regret to be a part of. Ten years of pain, death, suffering and bitterness have left me with a desire to find a new planet.
edit on 24-4-2011 by goddesslovr88 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join