It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look at the night sky...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
DEAR ATS

just once if your out late at night or if you jsut happen to be outside, look up at the night sky and look at the stars.

think about how far away they are, ask yourself if the brightest star in the sky has planets around it, ask yourself if any of the stars you see have a planet like earth around it. you can ask yourself some of the greatest questions about the night sky, what has come before us? what will come after us? its all amazing if you ask me.

look at those stars...some of them are galaxies with possibly earthlike planets maybe another type of intelligent life is look at the stars in there own galaxy or even looking at the stars in our own galaxy and thinking to themselves "are we alone"

the universe is such a big place full of mystery and wonder...

just one time let all the bad things go by you and just look at the night sky, take it in for all its beauty and all the mysteries that we as a species still have not began to grasp.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I went for a long walk like 2 hours ago (at midnight), and was looking up at the sky most of the time. I could only see a dozen stars if that. Screw you, light pollution. I've only seen the Milky Way once in my life and that was over 10 years ago.
Need to get away from the city.....

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

i was outside-- really just moments ago,looking up i imagined a far off world,, and i wondered how much history,
that far off planet had, how many souls it owned, lived,,, breeded and passed,,,
in the time it took for the light to reach my eyes..

how many things of beauty were created,,

how many beautiful things will never be seen,,,

quite humbling ,,, really.........

edit on 4/22/11 by darrman because: add a line

edit on 4/22/11 by darrman because: i feel like a speck of dust,,,,,,,,,,,,, blowing in the stellar wind......

edit on 4/22/11 by darrman because: BTW i wont feel like sombody untill my stars out weigh my posts........LOL

edit on 4/22/11 by darrman because: spellinglish

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Wonderful thread! Really I couldn't agree with you more. It is really awesome! I live in a decent place to view the night sky too. Some nights there are just hundreds of stars...being a huge space nut (unfortunately a poor one lacking funds for a nice telescope) I love to go outside for a couple hours and just look for anything above the horizon line! Sometimes shooting stars but mostly just stars. Like the OP said...I mean, how far away they are? You're literally looking into the past. If there aren't ET's here...there HAS GOT to be ET's out there. Personally, it's pretty easy to just let go of everything and get lost in the vastness. In fact, I might go out now for a while.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
I've only seen the Milky Way once in my life and that was over 10 years ago.

I've only seen it once too, I was in Ireland at the time and I sat outside for hours just looking at it. What a sight, i'll never forget it.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I live in an area that is best described as "Middle of Nowhere"

I have a 'pole light' in my yard... but other than that... no light pollution...
If the 'pole light' interferes too much... I only got to walk 15 feet to escape it...

So I've actually spent many many many hours outside at night, sitting/standing in awe...

to some... they may just be "boring old stars"
to me, I can look at them for hours and still be delighted!!!

I have saying, that I speak, to the stars

"You are beautiful tonight, as you always have been... as you always will be"

I've told the stars my deepest problems/issues...
I don't really like talking about things like that with humans...

everyone I know comes to me with their problems... and they see me as a bit of a "leader"
and to quote that dude from that Bond movie... "Never let them see you bleed"
so I never "bleed" in front of other people...

so I talk to the stars... they twinkle like they are nodding and listening... and they will never tell on me, I can trust them 100%

now, understand... i am not crazy... prolly sound it... but i have a love for the heavens, most wouldnt understand...

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Hi fellow star gazers,

I spend a lot of time outside, late at night. It never gets boring, as it allows my mind to run wild... and makes everything on this little ball of rock and water we call Earth seem so insignificant. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trivialize our home and ourselves. After all, we, and our world, are part of the miracle we call the Universe.

Stars all around. Around the Universe... and for you guys too!

Great thread! The OP gets a flag as well.

Thanks,
Milt

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by caf1550

Yeah, i bet if the whole world had a ceiling over it except for one van sized hole, people would go there and say "Holy f***ing s**t!!! Look at all of those light bulbs!" Then the scientists behind him will scream in unison "Those aren't light bulbs! They are nuclear bombs waiting to explode and cause things that will kill you in a nano second!"...Well maybe not in unison....But anyway, people would be amazed!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
While I was in the Navy my ship used to be deployed out to see for months on end. Safe to say being stuck in a hunk of floating metal for any length of time would drive anyone mad. Around midnight (off the coast of southern tip of Japan) I went outside of the ship.

A slight cool breeze blowing, the sea splashing and the night sky. I'll tel you straight up I'm a city boy so I never seen the stars before.

That night I still remember like if it yesterday. So many stars! So many #ing stars I was amazed beyond belief!

And now here I am. Back on the outskirts of a major city. Can only see the moon and some constellations that's about it. Oh well I suppose.
edit on 22-4-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
I went for a long walk like 2 hours ago (at midnight), and was looking up at the sky most of the time. I could only see a dozen stars if that. Screw you, light pollution. I've only seen the Milky Way once in my life and that was over 10 years ago.

I hear ya.. I am in Michigan (city) and only see like 10 stars total. But when I was in basic at Ft. Benning GA, wow I could see them all. Was also neat looking at them with NVG's on.

Deebo
edit on 22-4-2011 by Deebo because: fix

edit on 22-4-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Last night was a rare one for us in Western Canada....the ISS flew over 2 times during ideal viewing conditions. My sons and I went out to view them both, very cool! As a bonus, we saw a couple of meteors from the Lyrid shower as well.

Thanks OP, great thread.

join