It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon cloud crashes leaving businesses high and dry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Amazon’s cloud crash takes down Foursquare, Reddit and others

Amazon’s EC2 cloud computing service crashed overnight, taking down a bunch of key web sites. Affected sites included Foursquare, Reddit, Cydia, Discovr and Scvngr.

Source

Redundancy pays off people.
edit on 21-4-2011 by maestromason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
A great example of why centralized internet services is horrible. I'm nostalgic for the earlier days of the internet when people actually made their own web sites instead of profile pages on social networking megasites, before advertising took up 80% of bandwidth and when everything was fairly independent; before you could find google-analytics hiding in the html of every single web site; when Gopher and Usenet were still viable protocols; when it was more about information and less about entertainment. The good old days of just a few years ago really.

Hey!! Get off'n my lawn!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Around the same time some of Sony's websites went down along with the whole PSN, it's been almost 24 hours and PSN is still down

Maby it's related
edit on 21-4-2011 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0001391
A great example of why centralized internet services is horrible. I'm nostalgic for the earlier days of the internet when people actually made their own web sites instead of profile pages on social networking megasites, before advertising took up 80% of bandwidth and when everything was fairly independent; before you could find google-analytics hiding in the html of every single web site; when Gopher and Usenet were still viable protocols; when it was more about information and less about entertainment. The good old days of just a few years ago really.

Hey!! Get off'n my lawn!

I totally agree with your viewpoint. They created the "Cloud" infrastructure only to outsource US IT/IS based business to other companies that are not much better than the ways of the old days.

I still say maintaining your own infrastructural footprint "on premises" is the best way to go. Bandwidth is too precious for advertising to hog up and congest the network traffic. Commercialization of the web was the death knell of the web, now Web 2.0 is going to finish the job!

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoSpace

I would not doubt it, the optical carrier data trunks are HUGE, and carry a lot of proprietary networks.

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Disagree with most of the replies in this thread. Cloud computing is where its all heading and has been for some time now. I love Dropbox (as one example of many), great being able to have shared and secured data across multiple platforms including handheld/smartphones. The old days are gone, this digital revolution is about change. I agree that the commercialization is heavy but honestly its no surprise. i also agree that the social networking aspect sucks, but Usenet is still alive and well last time I checked. There are methods of dealing with advertising too. If you can't accept change then perhaps the Internet is not your cup of tea.

brill
edit on 22-4-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

top topics

join