It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone secretly tracks user location, say researchers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

iPhone secretly tracks user location, say researchers

www.computerworld.com

Computerworld - A pair of researchers have found that Apple iPhones and iPads track users' locations and store the data in an unencrypted file on the devices and on owners' computers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What the hell.. Its stored on your phone and anytime you sync your iphone etc to your computer.

I'm not sure what to make of it. I've done some more digging and the android based phone doesn't have this crap in it.

The data, which appears to have been collected starting with iOS 4, which Apple released last summer, is in a SQLite file on iPhones and iPads with 3G capability, said Pete Warden, the founder of Data Science Toolkit and a former Apple employee, and Alasdair Allan, a senior research fellow at the University of Exeter.

The same file, named "consolidated.db," is also stored in the iOS backups made by iTunes on the Mac or Windows PC used to synchronize the iPhone or iPad.

www.computerworld.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
No offense...

But it sure would be nice if all the people with smartphones would do a search before posting about this topic. It's been up about ten times today alone.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I was bested.. Thanks for the link.
I searched for iphone security rather than secretly.. bah my bad
edit on 4/20/2011 by madmangunradio because: (no reason given)

top topics

join