It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Patriot" act used to stop copyright infringement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
yro.slashdot.org...

"Adam was first tipped off about the investigation when the FBI raided his and his fiancee's apartment in May of 2002 and seized thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment. Adam later received a copy of the affidavit filed in support of the search warrant, and was shocked to discover that this document, prepared by the FBI, contained significant amounts of erroneous and misleading information. For example, two social security numbers were listed for Adam, one of which is not his. References were made to a cease and desist letter sent by the MPAA to an email address that did not exist. His online friendship with other Stargate fans across the globe was portrayed as an international conspiracy against the MPAA. And perhaps most disturbing of all, it was later revealed that the FBI invoked a provision of the USA Patriot Act to obtain financial records from his ISP. The FBI's abuse of its powers did not stop there. When they seized Adam's computer equipment, he was given written documentation stating that it would be returned within 60 days. The equipment that they did return did not arrive until more than 8 months later, and only then after much prodding from his lawyer. Much of it was damaged beyond repair - one laptop had a shattered LCD screen, an empty tape backup drive was ripped apart for no apparent reason, his fiancee's iBook was badly damaged when it was pried apart with a screwdriver."
_____

This is what everyone knew would happen, the Patriot act would be abused and now this is probably the 1st of many abuses, now the FBI dont need a warrant, dont need to prove they are investigating a terrorist. Every US citizen now have no rights if the FBI choose to take them away.

Now this proves that Bush is a liar, all he was hoping to do is take away the rights of the population rather than stop terrorists.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
But we need the PATRIOT Act to stop all those illegal terrorist downloaders. It's for your own good. /sarcasm

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
i'm sure once the patriot act 2 gets passed (which it probally will with the next terrorist attack on the states), we'll see this sort of # on a more common basis. and maybe i'm just overparanoid but i'm sure they'll probally find some way to come after me. all i gotta say to that is just bring it f@#$ers! ;P-)

join