It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2000yr old 'mass grave' found in the Peak District

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Somewhat close to home as I've travelled the route which this fort overlooks many times. Who'd have known that unless this community excavation had taken place, that such a massacre had ever occurred here. Infact there's such iron-age forts dotted all around the Peak District landscape with its topography excellent for such designs. Steep sided hills with flat-surfaced tops to build communities and fortified defenses on.
Hopefully this find will answer a few questions to the are's historical past & records.

www.mandh-online.com...

"A two-year community dig has uncovered the remains of women, babies, a toddler and a single teenage male in what is the first time a selective massacre of women and children has ever been found on an Iron Age hillfort in Britain.

The crouched skeleton of a teenage boy in the bottom of the ditch.The discovery was made at the peaceful Fin Cop in the Derbyshire Peak District. So far only ten metres of ditch – out of 400 – has been excavated, so it’s likely that hundreds of skeletons are still buried."

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RUDDD

Those who do not learn from history are bound to repeat it. But as one has stated earlier: why do these people not fight back when faced with certain doom. Was it the Fluoride?

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Nice find. This is my neck of the woods.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

BBC coverage with some video

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Statements like the following, quoted from the article, make me go... Huh???

"The women and children appear to have died of flesh wounds that have left no trace on the surviving bones."

I'm assuming the so-called wounded flesh also did not survive to be analyzed, since flesh decomposes relatively quickly. So... it seems like a giant leap to say they died of flesh wounds, when they fully admit there's no trace [evidence] of this on the surviving bones. Anybody else find this odd? The people also could have died of dysentery that left no trace on the surviving bones.

For all we know, these "mass graves" that archaeologists discover from time to time, may actually be poorly built underground bunkers. Just sayin.

OP, no criticism aimed at you... thanks for sharing the article!

top topics

join