It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computerized brain map to revolutionize medical treatment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

The world’s first computerised brain map is expected to make breakthroughs possible in a range of medical conditions after its unveiling

Researchers said the map could help them find new clues to conditions rooted in the brain, such as Alzheimer’s disease, autism and mental-health disorders. They spent four years piecing together minute details from brain tissue, including millions of genes. The brains were chopped up into sections to find the 25,000 genes present in the human genome, reports the Wall Street Journal.

Each detail was loaded into a computer to provide exact directions from one point of the brain to another, according to the Daily Mail. The project has already been used by some 4,000 brain scientists who are using the map to probe brains.

“Until now, a definitive map of the human brain at this level of detail simply hasn’t existed,” said Allan Jones from the Allen Institute for Brain Science, Seattle, the US. “For the first time, we have generated a comprehensive map of the brain that includes the underlying biochemistry,” added Allan.

Researches have for years struggled to link symptoms of the diseases to the biochemistry of genes that might be responsible for them. They have therefore been unable to get full picture of the brain in order to tackle debilitating diseases. They picked two adult male brains and set about working on the information in the $50 million project.

Scientists catalogued 1,000 “landmarks” in each of the two brains and then linked those tissues to thousands of genes they work in conjunction with to neural development and function. “The Allen atlas tells you where a gene is turned on in the brain and that’s why it is important,” said neurologist Jeffrey L. Noebels, who studies epilepsy at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, the US.

Article Source

I for one think this is an amazing announcement. I can't wait to see this technology utilized to expand our already growing medical technology. Although, I can see too where if this technology were to wind up in the wrong hands, the implications could be rather disturbing.
edit on 4/18/2011 by UberL33t because:

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Brilliant, didn't even know this existed yet!

S&F for the OP.

I have downloaded the brain explorer.

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I wonder if this tech can be used to reverse engineer brains and advance computing powers and/or make artificial brains for robots and whatnot...

Commander Data anyone? (or terminator if your more the doom and gloom murphys law type)

Also, would help in researching implants and such...perhaps one day the ability to toss a harddrive in the brain and back it up for emergency..

woah. I just blew my own mind there...(time to reboot?)...

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

UberL33t this is very exciting news! TY for sharing. while it was odd to imagine while reading, it sounds like a massively important breakthrough that is going to take researchers to all new levels. sweet. i hope we get to see a good documentary on this breakthrough, if they can make it understandable to laymen it would be an interesting watch.

i love reading good news. feels nice to be reminded there are good guys out there, too!

new topics

top topics

join