It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Belmez Faces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I was just wondering what the people here thought about the Belmez Faces, I just watched a video of it at www.jkcinema.com and it freaked me out. I don't know what to think of it.

Do you think it's real? Or is it a hoax? Did someone paint those faces on the floor?

You can check out more information about it here or you can type The Belmez Faces into google.

Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Whoa... That's wacky!

If they were painted on.. couldn't you tell?

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Interesting topic. When I read through alot of the hits from a google search I came across a page that talked about a study by German scientists in the 70's. Basically, they took a picture of the floor, then covered it with wax, and sealed up the room. After a period of time (6 months I think it was) they came back. The room hadn't been disturbed, but the faces had changed.

This site has lots of pics.

This site has info about the study. Something new that I just saw there is that the house went up for sale just this July. And that earlier this year Maria, the owner of the house died. It's thought to be her late husbands face in the cement.

This is an interesting article from a BBC reporter who visited the house in 1999.

Crazy stuff.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This a new one. It looks like it's worth looking into. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I posted this a few days ago with no response. I didn't think people were interested, but apparently you are.

As in my first post, jkcinema.com has an urban legends move... Fact or Fiction, that talks about the faces of belmez. It is kinda creepy but I enjoyed the movie.

You can view it at their website.

JK Cinema Fact or Fiction

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I read some debunking on it, and let me add my own two cents' worth, here -- speaking as an artist.

Those aren't "pictures" of real people but they ARE artwork produced by different people.

One of them has a strong "primitive" style. The eye shapes are drawn (because eyes don't look like that) and the artist is someone with talent but who hasn't taken any formal art courses in anatomy and physiology.

...and...
Notice the same misalignment of the eyes (left higher than right), the same childlike drawing of the eyes and misplacement of the irises and the same inability to draw a decent beard.

We also have an artist (younger than the first one) who MAY have been very fond of the alchemically influenced Northern Renaissance artists such as Hieronymus Bosch and Pieter Bruegel the Elder.

This one in particular looks very close to one of the "demons" in a Bosch:

The artist here is female and has the "high school girl" style of art with the tiny eyes and too long eyelashes and the extremely elaborate hairstyle and the impossibly tiny mouth:
... and ...

The "rites of spring" one is an aspiring artist influenced by Leonardo's painting of "The Last Supper."

The female nude (I'm not going to insert it) was done by a male artist who hasn't seen that many unclothed women (but who fantasizes about them) and who likes breasts. The Incredible Levitating Mammaries, anatomically incorrect features, and misplaced genitals speak to that one.
www.thecobrasnose.com...

For all the reports of "scientists" investigating, I see only reports from "psychic scientists." I don't see reports from archaeologists, anthropologists, chemists, physicists, etc. I think the "investigations" were biased in their selection of researchers.

But... strictly from an artist/art teacher's standpoint, that's just artwork and it's not that spectacular. A real "ghostly image" (Shroud of Turin is a favorite of mine) wouldn't look so obviously like the work of nonprofessional artists and would be consistant (if there was more than one) in style and anatomy and use of materials.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If the faces are the real deal, my guess would be that the house was haunted by the ghost of an artist. Otherwise, it's just a really cool hoax -- but a hoax, nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Not one artist, but four or five different ones. Or more. Just look at the ones I linked to... definately drawings and different people doing them.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
One of the links I found about it talked about how the house was built over three different graveyards. An Old Roman one, a newer Muslim graveyard and a christian graveyard.

After the first face appears they dug up the cement floor and dug down 8 feet. They found human remains, took 'em out and buried them elsewhere, then filled up the hole and re-poured the cement. And the faces came back...

Bizaare stuff.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Nice Links! I watched all those movies and some were BULS&!^. But none the less i think that those "paintings" did appear from a "soul" or enity. THANKS AGAIN
Post more links if you have more similar stories.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
they look real, my guess would be that the house was demonic. or people living there were demonic....just a guess.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Geez, some spirits you can just walk all over...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
From the Leftfield-psi website:

In the presence of his peers, the German television crew, the Pereira household, visitors and the notary, Professor de Argumosa performed a simple experiment in which he divided the kitchen floor into sections, photographing the faces of each section before covering them with a jacket and sealing the edges. He then sealed the room and the windows with wax in the presence of the town notary. The room remained sealed and empty for 3 months. The Pereiras were not without a kitchen during this time as the City Council had built a new kitchen behind their home so that they could continue their normal day-to-day routines without interruption.

When the sealed room was opened following the 3-month waiting period, the results proved successful to de Argumosa and Bender. The faces beneath the covering jacket had evolved and moved during the time of confinement. Another noteworthy manifestation occurred at the same time but in the new kitchen. The figure that would be later dubbed "Lady in the cup" appeared, the clearest image to date.

If this is true, then there's no way that the faces are paintings, because no one was in the room for three months and faces still appeared.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Rense and the Guardian are reporting that they have recently put the house up for sale.

Rense.com

The Guardian

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
BBC News wrote a very interesting article in October of 1999. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

BBC NEWS

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This particular case intrigues me. I was born on august 23 1971 and I am somehow drwan to this particular case.

pao

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i once bought one of those globe mini mags about 10-15 years ago(you know the kind, half postcard size in the grocery store line) that had unexplained mysteries. It had a picture of those faces. To this day, those faces creep me out. I cant stand looking at them.

I've always wondered if they were real or not.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I'm from spain, and this case is very well know here, even the scientific police made an investigation about the case in the 80s and couldn't find evidence of hoaxing.

Spanish paranormal researches have been studying this case for decades, and have found some very interesting stuff, like some of the faces that appear on the walls seems to match the faces of some people that died there during the spanish civil war.

The owner of the house died recently, that's why they put the house for sale.

There are some quite good books about the case here, unfortunatedly they are edited in spanish only, but if anyone knows spanish and is interested send me a U2U and I'll be happy to help.

[edit on 6/1/2005 by OniShiro]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

those bones under the house, some could possibly be artists. maybe each painted their own face to be released or known. I doubt any one will ever know. Whether you believe its actually ghostly activity or a hoax theres no doubt that its a spectacular story.

new topics

top topics

join