It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is China killing Africa's elephants?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

NAIROBI, Kenya — Many blame China for the rise in elephant killings in Africa.

The growing appetite for ivory in Asia, coupled with the increasing influence of China in countries across central and southern parts of Africa, has led to more elephants being killed for their ivory tusks.

In the latest incident to point to this trend, Thai customs officials seized two tons of ivory hidden in the hold of a ship arriving from the Kenyan port of Mombasa. The 247 tusks discovered on March 30 are thought to are estimated to be worth about $3.3 million, illustrating the lucrative nature of a global illegal trade that threatens to decimate Africa’s wildlife.

Thai customs officials inspect elephant tusks in Bangkok on April 1, 2011. The Thai Customs Department seized 247 tusks, worth more than $3.3 million, at Bangkok port upon the shipment's arrival from Kenya.

Source: www.globalpost.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Harvesting ivory tusks from elephants is nowadays considered illegal, according to conservationist laws.

There is synthetic ivory being made right now; no need to kill elephants for their 'precious' tusks.

The greed for ivory would spell extinction for elephants.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Yes, of course China, and most asian countries in fact is killing the elephants. And being from South Africa this is a matter close to my heart.

They kill these majestic animals purely for money, and making material little things out of it.

Even worse is the rhino killings going on. They kill the rhinos for the horn, purely because some old perverted man is suffering from erectile disfunction.

Just show how low the human race has stooped.

Killing an animal for meat and feeding someone is one thing, killing them so personal perversions can be fullfilled is just wrong.

VVV
edit on 14-4-2011 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Yes, of course China, and most asian countries in fact is killing the elephants. And being from South Africa this is a matter close to my heart.

They kill these majestic animals purely for money, and making material little things out of it.

Even worse is the rhino killings going on. They kill the rhinos for the horn, purely so some old perverted man is suffering from erectile disfunction.

Just show how low the human race has stooped.

Killing an animal for meat and feeding someone is one thing, killing them so personal perversions can be fullfilled is just wrong.

VVV

I can visualize your sympathy for rhinos and elephants, considering these animals are sacred in the eyes of many Africans.

Rhinos and elephants, like hundreds of thousands of animals species, were made in God's image, and it is up to us to take care of them for Him on this planet Earth.

Fortunately the customs departments of many countries are taking action; seizure of ivory shipments are immediate upon discovery and they are stored or even destroyed in front of the cameras to deter further importation of ivory tusks.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

This really pisses me off - there is no reason to harm this animal. Thai people have great respect for the elephant - I hope these bastards get what they deserve!

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
Even worse is the rhino killings going on. They kill the rhinos for the horn, purely because some old perverted man is suffering from erectile disfunction.

This really doesn't make it any more of an unjust act than it already was, but this is new to me. I had no idea that rhino horn's were used for this.

No matter what it is to be used for, killing an animal just for it's tusk, horn, antlers, etc., is still completely wrong in my eyes.

top topics

join