It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: 4 in 10 Southerners Still Side With Confederacy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

I don't wholly disagree. As I matter of fact I very much agree that industrialists and the military have ruined this country. Although, I don't think it really got started until the post-WW2 era. And contrary to previous posts, I do think there were economic reasons for the war, however I believe slavery is a much bigger issue than some on this board are admitting to.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoConfederate

i was going to post almost the same thing. well done.

if i had to "choose" a side, i would side with the confederacy and states rights. never been a big fan of Lincoln, and i was born and raised in NY.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The hysterical lincolnites and their frantic hand waving...pathetic.

BAM!

I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.
www.nationalcenter.org...

I got lots more for ya. Can you really be so ignorant as to believe that the Civil War was a purely Good v Evil proposition?
Do you really think that the industrialists in the North - who benefited most from slavery, were concerned with ending it?
Do you realize that no other western nation fought a war to end slavery?
Are you so indoctrinated that you cannot discern truth from fiction any longer?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I have lived roughly 25 years in the North and 25 years nearly in the South. That makes me very qualified to give an educated opinion. I also took alot of American History in college. I have lived in Pennslyvannia, Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia (Northern and the Confederate Capital), and South Carolina. The United States is very important in staying together as one country. We are made up of many different cultures from accross the globe. Slavery of any kind, is a very bad idea. The South Carolinians have alot of pride, and they felt threatened in the past. The North has moved on in the past 160 years and never even thinks of the civil war except in grade school or college history classes. They have moved on because war didn't happen much, or at all on their soil. The state of Virginia was a blood bath of fighting. At Sailors Creek 8,000 men lost their lives in 3 days. Winchester, Virginia was taken back and forth 77 different times during the war, it was located 45 minutes from Washington, D.C. The rudest people in all of the USA are located in D.C. This has been my experience.

The Northerners to this day are more factory minded and farming important crops. The South is starting to use the cheaper labor and build important factories. We were sent to the South with our Northern college degrees to teach the Southern factories new ideas and to enforce a stronger work ethic. Alot of people don't want to do quality work here, and are just waiting to run off to the beautiful beaches. I can't really blame anyone, I love the beaches here more than any other beaches in the world. The Southern charm is warm and inviting after living where it constantly snows and rains in the North. People up there (most of my realitives) are rude, angry, and repressed from living indoors most of the year. Both areas of the USA have their good points and bad points.
I would pick Virginia and South Carolina any day, to live the rest of my life in. The states are very beautiful and
less people live here making life nicer. I have really enjoyed the rich American History of these states. The people have endured many hardships to make this a great country.
edit on 13-4-2011 by frugal because: sp

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

As bad as industrialists are, I am going to side with the antislavery crowd on this one.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Agree somewhat. I was treated the entire range from very gracious and truly nice by some, to some kind of modern day carpet bagger by others. I lived in New Orleans and Little Rock. As a historian, do you think it is fair to say that the same ravages executed by the north, i.e. rapes and marches to the sea and such, would have happened had the south made more progress into the north? Just curious.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight76

thats fine with me... it is your right to choose for yourself after all

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think the Southern men treat women with respect, however you are not their equal. My father who was from Indiana was college educated and taught me to change my own oil, tires, drill holes, and use most tools in the garage. I took shop in high school and was one of the two people to get a A in there. He told me I need to rely on myself, not a man. Men are nice, but in this day and age a woman needs to be raised as the boys are to be brave, adventurous, and reliant on themselves.
The men in the south want to carry your groceries to the car, which I decline evey time. I have a college degree and want to be treated with equality, I think the women in the South need to rely on themselves more and learn to fix things and behave independently. I am always making tweleve hour car trips by myself and with children and dogs to visit family. Most women here never leave their state. I would say I am a nationalist, I belong to the country not a specific state.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
reply to post by NeoConfederate

It is amazing how you speak from the perspective of slave owners, and have little consideration of the perspective of SLAVES!

You may think you are right, but that’s your version of history, others differ from yours.

Like the fact that the south would enslave free black people when they went in Pennsylvania, and sent them back to the wonderful south as slaves.

Black men wanted to fight on the side of the union because they knew where their interest was, and had no affection for the south as you so perversely say.

Also your wonderful south murdered black troops when they were captured, so please don’t give us that crap about the great wonderful south that even black peple loved.

This may come as a shock to you. When I was a young child our family would have family reunions. There were a couple of black families that always attended. They were the descendants of former slaves owned by my great grandfather. They were considered family ! Evidently there was no animosity towards each other caused by the slavery issue or the war..I have heard similar stories from other people.There may be much much more for you to learn about the old south,other than what they teach in school.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

It sucks im at work now and don't have time to search for all the proof thatyou wouldn't believe anyway.
If that was the forward to the book or article for the Slave Narratives then naturally its gonna be biased to the north.. read their words not the editors
the Morrill Act increased Southern taxes and tarriffs to a ridiculous level.
the South did not murder black soldiers or any other northern invader outside of battle. In fact the prisoners at Andersonville got the same rations as the guards and even though conditions were awful they were still treated better than Southern prisoners in the north who were starved beaten and treated worse than a dead animal

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There is only one reason
the mothers in the north sent their boys to die.

The propaganda in the magazines, at the time, portrayed the southern women
as spoiled little belles who had slaves to wash their feet. Literally. With tabloid like
cartoons showing an overweight southern woman having her feet washed by a poor slave.

After the Vietnam conflict America stopped calling them 'Charlie.'
After the Korean demilitarized zone America stopped calling Chinese 'gooks.'
After the Pacific war America stopped calling Japanese 'Tojo.'
After the war against Hitler America stopped calling Germans 'Huns.'

But for some reason a hundred and fifty years after the Civil War
it is still ok for northerners to call southerners 'racist.'
It is still ok to blame southerners for being impoverished.
And it is still ok to cook up incendiary polls to make us look bad.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18bc5e90fd3d.png[/atsimg]

This is the legacy of the corporate run civil war.
And even while people are waking up to the fact
that international banking never had the people's interests at heart
Yankees continue to be manipulated by the old method of
blame-someone-else-and-you'll-feel-better.

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
But for some reason a hundred and fifty years after the Civil War
it is still ok for northerners to call southerners 'racist.'
It is still ok to blame southerners for being impoverished.

True. Oh how often is the yokel southern sterotype thrown about.

Although southerners do tend to cater to their perceived image sometimes. Larry the Cable Guy, Jeff Foxworthy...G.W. Bush

Originally posted by davidgrouchy
And it is still ok to cook up incendiary polls to make us look bad.

Serious question davidgrouchy, and I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just a bit curious as to how you came to that assumption. Do you mean specifically in regards to the picture you posted? Or in general?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Serious question davidgrouchy, and I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just a bit curious as to how you came to that assumption. Do you mean specifically in regards to the picture you posted? Or in general?

I mean the thread title.

A poll,
containing leading questions (we don't have, only the results)
fitted out with a conclusion (laced with racist subtext)
used to portray "southerners." (which is not defined).

There are thousands of things I would _rather_ be talking about.

David Grouchy

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Ok answer me this. If it wasn't about slavery, then why didn't the 20% of Southerners that actually owned slaves, just give all their slaves freedom? The South was no better than republicans/democrats today. So many Southerners who weren't slave owners were fighting to defend a very small majorities right to do so, just like today how a very small majority of lying politicians have you thinking that the what's in the best interest of the top 2% is what's best for you, as they are bending you over.

The Confederates weren't fighting to defend slave owners. They were fighting to defend their land which Union soldiers were invading. The Confederates were just trying to defend their land long enough that the Union would give up and they could have their own country.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Ok answer me this. If it wasn't about slavery, then why didn't the 20% of Southerners that actually owned slaves, just give all their slaves freedom? The South was no better than republicans/democrats today. So many Southerners who weren't slave owners were fighting to defend a very small majorities right to do so, just like today how a very small majority of lying politicians have you thinking that the what's in the best interest of the top 2% is what's best for you, as they are bending you over.

I am all for insurrection, obviously, or I wouldn't be here. But to say the Revolution and Civil War were the same is doing a disservice to both. As far as I remember every Southern state had representation in Congress, where as no American colonies had representation in the British Parliament.

Are you saying that the South blew up the Union because they didn't like taxes? If that were the case why hasn't every subsequent generation revolted as well?
because they weren't as powerful in the gov't senate due to low numbers of voting constituents versus the north.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
4 in 10 southerners couldn't spell confederacy. 4 in 10 southerners have less than 4 teeth also. 4 in 10 southerners married their sister.

so this poll isn't alarming.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

Disgusting.

Second line.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I was nigh onto seventeen before I learned that "damn" and "yankee" were two separate words.

This poll is skewed. Four in ten my butt.

They must have polled in the carpetbagger section in Coral Gables. Too many damned yankees live there now.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 13-4-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: non-conducive reaction

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I too was born and raised in the south,but don't agree with or sympathize the confederacy.
racism makes me sick!!! and I am also white, I can even remember just 35 yrs ago there were still
some places in the little cotton jin town I grew up in,where certain places of business had signs
posted saying "no negros". and even now I still see racism going on here in Tn.it makes you just
wanna shake people,and say"what is wrong with you fool"
edit on 13-4-2011 by infojunkie2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join