It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breach in Texas comptroller's office exposes 3.5 million Social Security numbers, birth dates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Breach in Texas comptroller's office exposes 3.5 million Social Security numbers, birth dates

www.dallasnews.com

AUSTIN — Social Security numbers and other personal information for 3.5 million people were inadvertently disclosed on a publicly accessible state computer server for a year or longer, Comptroller Susan Combs revealed Monday.

The information breach — believed to be the most extensive ever in Texas and one of the largest of its kind nationally — included names, addresses and Social Security numbers of all those on the list. In some cases, dates of birth and driver’s license numbers were also listed.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
So lets just make it a whole lot easier for illegals to get SS#'s etc? I just dont understand it at all I guess it happens? I did a search and saw nothing on this so if its been posted let me know.

From what I can get out of the article every 2-5 illegals in the US can use one of these SS#'s lol and Birthdays I dont know just something i found.

www.dallasnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
We get similar crap in the UK and europe-they go on about how secure all our personal data is,then it gets hacked/lost or whatever...happens all the time here.
No government sytem is totally secure of course,as they fall prey to human error as much as anything else does.
Whatever they claim is true,i would rather go by the record of TPTB.
And that is that they are all crap at keeping data secure IMO.
By accident or design is another debate of course.

Incompetant corrupt goons,the lot of them IMO.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Got to agree that is just how it is I guess. I dont know it just seams strange how these things just "happen"

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Holly Crap !!! And I have a tax permit with the comptrollers office.. I am can be pretty sure my #s were in it,, and were released.. mercy sakes.. wonder if any one has any recourse ?

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I can't believe people can actually have their entire lives ruined just by the accidental disclosure of their information... it's silly.

What kind of messed up malfunctioning system must be in place to allow identity theft to continue to be a problem? The breach is one issue, but the real issue is the fact that identity theft is still possible...

This situation makes the entire world look foolish.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

I understand its possible but for them to just like let it happen so easy is even worse its like spitting on people who have done well protecting them selves.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

your ignorance is very disturbing ..... people don't need to know CORRECT numbers , no one is checking, just put 9 numbers togeather and claim it as youre own ......

Becouse thats how its done!!!! paranoi runs amock.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I saw this in the paper this morning. Me, being a resident of the lone-star state, facepalmed for the first time ever.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by svpwizard

I doubt that is actually possible but maybe....... I wouldnt say I am very ignorant though. Just a heads up to that.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCloud

my comment to you was overly critical, i apologize.

The fear people have i think is nonsense, people using someone elses ss number usally and probably is by PURE chance, and most of the time the names are completly different than what is associated with the number ....

top topics

join