It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tapping into Mechanical Energy of Geothermal Movement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
According to Wikipedia,

The Sendai earthquake and tsunami (Japan), 2011 caused an energy release equivalent to 2 EJ.

Or 2x10^18J.

That's equivalent to "the energy output per second of the fictional starship USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D."

This energy is technically "generated" by convection in the mantle.

Humanity uses 5.67×10^19 J or roughly 30x that much electrical energy every year.

I believe that there is a way to use the convection by means of a "windmill" below the crust to generate electrical energy.

And I think it will be safe, efficient, and only a matter of time before it comes into existence.
edit on 4/12/2011 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Geothermal Energy Use on the Rise in U.S.

It already is!

Dr. Lund is not only one of the nation's foremost geothermal experts, he uses it to power his home. "To heat my house, my hot water, my hot tub, everything, (for) ten dollars a month." Lund uses what's known as a geothermal exchange pump, buried several hundred feet below ground in his backyard for his home. Pumps are a localized system that uses the heat of the ground water, through an assemblage of pipes to bring up the extreme warmth of what's beneath the surface. They can be used anywhere in the world.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I'm talking a gigantic turbine that uses the force of the current in the mantle miles down.

A "deeper" version of the turbine used in sea currents.

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Geothermal systems for heating use are not really generating.

They are extracting.

They take advantage of the consistent temperatures below ground to either heat or cool your house. They can not run by themselves, they require a minimum of an electric pump to move fluids.

They are definitely more efficient, when sized properly, than a gas furnace, but they are not 'power generaotrs'.

new topics

top topics

join