It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israeli Nuclear Expert Warns of Disaster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
An Israeli nuclear scientist warns that the country's 40-year-old Dimona nuclear power plant could start leaking. He said that a strong earthquake in the region may crack the reactor. He compared it to the Chernobyl disaster in the 1980's.

Israel nuclear whistleblower: Dimona reactor endangers millions; warns Jordan of leaks

Nuclear whistleblower Mordechai Vanunu said in an interview that the Dimona nuclear reactor endangers the lives of millions throughout the Middle East.

[...]

Vanunu also told the newspaper that the Jordanian government should prepare for possible leaks from the reactor, just as Israel has plans to distribute iodine anti-radiation pills to residents living close to the nuclear reactor in Dimona.

He said that Jordanians living close to the border with Israel should be examined for possible nuclear radiation, explaining that the Hashemite Kingdom is especially at risk from the reactor as it operates mainly when "the wind blows toward Jordan."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The story also says that radiation can only be dangerous for Jordan if the wind happens to blow towards it.

Jordan however plays down radiation fears from Israel's nuclear plant:

Source: Spacewar.com

The director of Jordan's nuclear energy agency, Ziad Qudah, meanwhile, said his organisation operated three centres for radiation detection through continuous monitoring, as well as four early-warning centres.

"Results so far show that Jordan's air is not polluted with any nuclear radiation", Qudah told the press conference.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 27-7-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 7-27-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 7-28-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Well, that explains the radiation pills they were handing out.

(ATS)Israel to Distribute Anti-Radiation Pills

df1

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Well, that explains the radiation pills they were handing out.

Apparently Vanunu has good reason for wanting to leave Israel, unfortunately for him the courts won't let him leave.
www.rense.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
The reactor has never been inspected by an international team to the best of my knowledge. But I would hae hoped that they would have been more careful. You kind of wonder if this is part of a scorched earth policy? Or Just scare tactics aimed at thier neighbors?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
LOL
If I was Vananu, I would move to Rosh Hanikra (Spelling) in the top left of Israel. Far away from the prevailing wind....

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Interesting that these "alternative" sources talk about this, but they keep silence, just like the USGS, about the earthquake (officially 4.3, in fact about 5) under two nuclear power plants in the Swiss/german border, June 29, 2004.

Check that it has been censored ever since, and on the fly you can also check that 4+ earthqaukes have reached an all time high (243 entries for the last 30 days)

247 Earthquakes in the last 30 Days, 4.0 or Greater

www.iris.edu...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott
Interesting that these "alternative" sources talk about this, but they keep silence, just like the USGS, about the earthquake (officially 4.3, in fact about 5) under two nuclear power plants in the Swiss/german border, June 29, 2004.

Those power plants must be secret and only known to you. Another quality ATS member with totally insight sources

Seriously. There was this kiddy earthquake centered around Brugg/Aargau and noticeable about 70km but nothing in reach of a nuclear power plant.

I think it gets dangerous at 6.0 within 50km from the epi centre.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
oooooooo.....I didn't know Israel had it's own nuclear reactor??? And they want to bomb Iran for building it's own nuke reactor?

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
LOL
If I was Vananu, I would move to Rosh Hanikra (Spelling) in the top left of Israel. Far away from the prevailing wind....

The Ladder of Tire - the white chalk cliffs on the Israel / Lebanon border? LOL

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BANGINCOLOR
oooooooo.....I didn't know Israel had it's own nuclear reactor???

Soreq was donated to Israel by US president Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1955 "as part of the Atoms for Peace program" to develop the peaceful use of nuclear energy, and Dimona was built with French help in the 1950s and 1960s

Rebekka

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
How much inside info can Vanunu still have? I doubt the Israelis let him near anyone who has access to the place.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by shoo

Those power plants must be secret and only known to you. Another quality ATS member with totally insight sources

Seriously. There was this kiddy earthquake centered around Brugg/Aargau and noticeable about 70km but nothing in reach of a nuclear power plant.

Earthquake 10km under two nuclear power plants, in the Swiss/German border, June 28, 2004.

official data :
www.emsc-csem.org...
map :
www.emsc-csem.org...

========= 10 km north from epicentre : nuclear power plant 1 - some info about it ...
vorort.bund.net...
AKW Leibstadt (Kanton Aargau)

========= 10 km southwest from epicentre : nuclear power plant 2 - some info about it ...
www.gruene-wt.de...
AKW Beznau (Kanton Aargau)

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Interesting. Dimona is reportedly also the storage location of 200 Israeli nuclear warheads. They released pictures of the plant for the first time earlier this month, a day before the head of the UN's nuclear watchdog was due in Israel for talks on making the Middle East a nuclear weapons free zone. Before that, Israel had pretty much never discussed the plant.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by x_y_no
How much inside info can Vanunu still have? I doubt the Israelis let him near anyone who has access to the place.

Most of the information - as well as considerable speculation and mythology - that Vanunu divulged in 1986 was either already known among experts or was of questionable reliability, concerning areas and details to which Vanunu - a low-level technician - had no access.

Rebekka

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

Originally posted by x_y_no

Most of the information - as well as considerable speculation and mythology - that Vanunu divulged in 1986 was either already known among experts or was of questionable reliability, concerning areas and details to which Vanunu - a low-level technician - had no access.

Rebekka

What exactly is a 'low-level technician' at a nuclear power plant? The janitor, or someone who helps maintain the coolant interchange system?

top topics

join