It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we believe the Mayan Calendar that end is coming 2012.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Why do we believe the Mayan Calendar that end is coming 2012 ??

Its a strange date 21/12/2012 it would look better if it where 20/12/2012, it matches up better.

I also know that its not only the Mayan who predicted the same date other cultures have as well.
Also realize it might not be the end but the start of the new.

I'm no expert on the Mayans but they where around 2000 B.C.& lasted to 900 A.D.
They where pretty clever bunch good at maths,farming, astronomy, writing systems, engineering feats such as the construction of pyramids & of course that famous calendar.

They can predict when our world will end, start, what ever.
My problem is why didn't they worry about them selfs & predict there own end times.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by zteam2012

The Mayan calendar ending in 2012 does not mean the world will end in 2012, just as my calendar ends on December 31st, 2011, it doesn't mean 31/12/11 will be the end of the world. It just repeats itself as part of a new cycle.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Off topic i know but i couldnt resist. did you steal my avatar.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
They did predict their own end. They saw the demise of their civilization as being an inevitable turn of events.

You also have to understand that the Maya thought differently about life and death than the average westerner does. They believed that we always return and that death is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. It was just a part of the continuing cycle of things.

When you have no fear of death or dying, that enables one to do things someone afraid of death would never consider.

They knew that, just as every other civilization that had come before them had fallen into decay and destruction, so would theirs. When you know it's inevitable, AND have no fear of death or dying, why bother trying to prevent what is going to happen one way or the other? Enjoy the time you have and let be what will be.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

As to the 12-21-12 date... There are many that consider that date to be a falsely given date, and that the true date of the calendar ends 10-28-11.

There's actually QUITE a lot of info out there about this. Check out the work of Carl Calemein or go to www.mayanmagix.com to get some great info, with a lot of evidence supporting that one.

Even up to and including the historical events throughout the lifespan of the earth. It's quite interesting and really in depth.

And, do NOT fall prey to the stupidiy that people have attributed to the Mayans end date. It is NOT the end of the world. Only the end of the world as we know it.

There's a REALLY big freaking difference in those 2 things.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
we don't. we're just so bored with our lives and the limits of reality that we latch on to any idea which makes us feel important.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

no a work mate showed it to me in a email. thought got to have this, theres another 2 kinda of the same as well.

Jomina

yes ive seen that date the 28/10 /2011 doing the rounds. How did that date come about ??
cheers for the link to.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

dont worry its cool, just teasing ya

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by zteam2012

yes ive seen that date the 28/10 /2011 doing the rounds. How did that date come about ??
cheers for the link to.

They took into account the different errors in the gregorian/julian calendar changes/leap days/etc and that's the date that was left.

It's a very interesting situation.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

And, do NOT fall prey to the stupidiy that people have attributed to the Mayans end date. It is NOT the end of the world. Only the end of the world as we know it.

And I feel fine.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The Maya did NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT believe the world would end on 12 21 2012. That date is the beginning of a new baktun, or cycle. It's the 13th Baktun. The long count date which right now is 12.19.18.0.12 would then be 13.0.0.0.0.

Basically, It's like us gregorian-users going from 1999 to 2000. They also believed time was cyclical, and repeated itself. That being said, they believed the world was created on August 11th, 3114BC. We currently don't know why the Maya chose that date. They also chose a date that they said was the end of the world. I can't remember the exact date, but I remember that it will be on Columbus day, year 4 thousand something AD. So 2000 years away still at least.

Then again, as soon as the world ends, according to the Maya, the world regenerates and repeats itself.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
You seem to have a lot of spare energy - can I have some?

We need to share this, because there are so many lazy people about who refuse to learn for themselves it's just so draining.

I hope your post has at least opened the eyes of one person.. Just one..

I lost the energy a long time ago in the midst of much stupidity.......... can I share some with you??

Oo

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
There is a book written by carlos barrios "the book of destiny 2012". I suggest reading that. He is a well respected elder of the eagle clan and a true mayan. I just felt good after reading it.

top topics

join