It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police questioning, No comment until I have consulted a lawyer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have read much of the advice in these forums on responding to police questioning. It seems that asking exatly what regulation I am accused of breaking and what does that regualtion say and insisting remaining silent until one has consulted a lawyer seems to a good line to take particualry for the legal unaware, which I am.

The problem is for me is exactly what questions should I ask the lawyer to safeguard my rights and eactly what is the lawyer going to do for me accept just sit there and listen to the conservation between me and police just like they do in the cop shows on TV?

Sorry about asking such a dumb question but its great to know that remaining silent is smart but gvien that we manage to get a lawyer, what then? I'm sure there are many others who might appreciate answers to these questions also.

Thank you for your help

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bussoboy

Not answering questions can also cause an officer to be suspicious and give them a good excuse to detain you (further).

If you ask for a lawyer then just the act of doing that could sway things to get a stubborn officer to consider how he is proceeding. If the officer cannot or will not give you details of the crime you are being accused of they a Lawyer should be able to help get those details.

Your honesty to the lawyer (and yourself) will allow the lawyer to help you explain things without incriminating yourself (further).

Trick is not to get in trouble, but cops can be ego fed maniacs when they feel they have a chance to use their powers. A lawyer will ensure they don't abuse those powers or try to act as a hypothetical judge.

Good luck and brush up on those section numbers and paragraphs.

This may help: UK arrest & Law details

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I know that saying nothing can further arouse further suspicion in police and some police view such a response as a personal contest but I reckon that beyond saying that I deny it and answering questions with questions which one has to be pretty sharp in order to be effective, it seems that saying noting unitl I've consulted with a lawyer is propbably is about as much as I could hold in my head at once. Being quetioned by polcie is a pretty intimidating and stressful expereince.

I know to ask about which Act and wich Regualtion as I deal with such things in my line of work beyond that is a now-what-do-I-say-now sitation.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I would HIGHLY recommend reading "You & The Police" by Boston T Party.
Great little book for learning some basic civil rights and awareness of police tactics.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Do NOT talk to the police AT ALL. Talk to a lawyer, and let the lawyer talk for you. Doesn't matter if they keep you longer. It doesn't matter if you're innocent, remember this line "ANYTHING YOU SAY CAN AND WILL BE USED AGAINST YOU..."

Police tactics are meant to put you in a trap regardless of your innocence or guilt.

edit on 9-4-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

top topics

join