It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, The Root of All Evil, Documentary (Richard Dawkins, 2006)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The Root of All Evil? Part 1

'The Root of All Evil? is a television documentary, written and presented by Richard Dawkins, in which he argues that the world would be better off without religion

PART1

PART2

Google Video Link

edit on 9-4-2011 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
So sorry, but money (greed) is the root of all evil.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist - nor a religious person - but I prefer Hitchens over Dawkins any day. Dawkins seems like he is making a quick buck by rallying up atheists together. Dawkins, as a scientist, should be focus more on science than the atheist vs religion debate.

The world would be better without humans. Humans are where the "root of all evil" lay. Religion is simply a method of control. You get rid of religion? Guess what, there will be something to replace it.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

So what do you think of the documentary
did you even watch it ?

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Sorry to be picky -

The *love* of money is the root of all kinds of evil (1 Timothy 6.10). And I'm glad you mentioned this verse, since it applies directly to the thread as well:

1Ti 6:6 Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment,
1Ti 6:7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.
1Ti 6:8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.
1Ti 6:9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.
1Ti 6:11 But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.

Religion causing destruction is religion contrary to its roots, at least as far as the case of christianity goes. Anyone not living in love, grace, and humility is not walking according to the faith and is christian in name only:

1Jn 2:4 Whoever says "I know him" but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,
1Jn 2:5 but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him:
1Jn 2:6 whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

Lots of evil has been done in the NAME of religion - but lots of evil would have been done regardless. There will always be an excuse to rationalize atrocity - or at least make it look good to others.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Laughing so hard it hurts. Not again. So prior to religion everyone nice and helped one another, no theft, no war, no incest, no bad people. Why do people still torture logic in such a way. You hate that people believe their is life after this and that their may be a God. How many people did Stalin kill, how bout Mao? Chimps don't have religion but they kill one another.

Define evil and you do not come up with religion, you come up with selfishness, that is the root of all evil. Selfishness that takes care of oneself at the expense of others. I am not a Catholic but they built a lot of hospitals and colleges, aethists not so many.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

I have to agree. All religions rely on money anyways and historically any wars in the name of God has ALWAYS been about money, wealth and power.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur

So what do you think of the documentary
did you even watch it ?
I don't have to spend over an hour of my time to hear the wrong answer though you see. People will use any excuse, including religion, to acquire more earthly wealth, and this greed for those material (earthly) possessions is what leads to acts of atrocity, if you will. Pointing the finger solely at religion is completely asinine, as is Richard Dawkins.
edit on 9/4/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
No Dawkins is wanting to replace the freedom of believing what we want to believe him instead and start worshiping people like him the new messiahs. Not believing in God is still a religion Dawkins and you my dear sir have nothing to offer

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by shroudnews77
No Dawkins is wanting to replace the freedom of believing what we want to believe him instead and start worshiping people like him the new messiahs. Not believing in God is still a religion Dawkins and you my dear sir have nothing to offer

The freedom of belief cannot be taken or replaced by anyone. Messiah, is a word that is thrown around.. alot. I enjoy gardening, I am not the messiah of plants. I have some info and experience and I share it. You still have the choice to grow your own or go to the supermarket.

The fallacy of messiahs coming to fool you is getting old. We are in the year 2011. Is there seriously some out there that cannot ask their own questions? Or get some type of info for themselves? What is it that the religious folks are waiting to be fooled by?

Religions have a book, places, people even the bad guy. Why would anyone be afraid? If I was a god, and I gave the religious people a book with rules to abide by, and they still were afraid of being fooled, I would be concerned about many other things besides false messiahs.

Peace, NRE.

new topics

top topics

join