It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to "Reorganize YouTube Channels"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Google to "Reorganize YouTube Channels"

www.rawstory.com

US Internet giant Google is preparing a major overhaul of video sharing website YouTube by creating "channels" to compete with broadcast and cable TV, The Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

…the YouTube homepage will highlight different channels focused on topics like arts and sports, the Journal said…

Executives of the site told the Journal they want people to "watch YouTube" the same way they "watch TV."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They want people to "watch YouTube" the same way they "watch TV."

...and take a big bite out of the $70 billion advertising market spent on US television.

It was coming, now it's here.

If you're interested, they're hiring - but the focus is on production companies, NOT stars. The plan is to have about 20 channels with original professionally-produced programming.

About 20 of the channels will present several hours of original programming produced professionally each week, while other channels would use content already available on the site.

And the BIG question...

Will there be a Conspiracy Channel?

www.rawstory.com

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thats not the real big question. The question will be , are they stupid enough to ask for money for this service at a time of fiscal restriction? Thats the BIG question. Everything else is small fry.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I dunno. It's clear that Google, Youtube - and ATS - are changing the world. Right down to the economic structure, what kind of jobs are opening up, where those jobs are, and where the growth is.

Huge news, in my humble opinion, and world changing. I also think ATS really is leading some of these transitions.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

They want people to "watch YouTube" the same way they "watch TV."

...and take a big bite out of the $70 billion advertising market spent on US television.

It was coming, now it's here.

If you're interested, they're hiring - but the focus is on production companies, NOT stars. The plan is to have about 20 channels with original professionally-produced programming.

About 20 of the channels will present several hours of original programming produced professionally each week, while other channels would use content already available on the site.

And the BIG question...

Will there be a Conspiracy Channel?

www.rawstory.com

I would say ABSOLUTELY! I'd guess that there are more conspiracy related topics on YouTube than anything else. YouTube is made of Cats, Dogs and Conspiracies.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'll only watch if the Simpsons is on 3 channels at once as with TV.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by soficrow

Thats not the real big question. The question will be , are they stupid enough to ask for money for this service at a time of fiscal restriction? Thats the BIG question. Everything else is small fry.

My guess is that at first they will not charge. They will be inundated with adverts, more so than we see now. Eventually they will probably try to cash in on it.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It wouldnt take long for other video sites to overtake them in popularity, if they no longer become the media for promoting messages grassroots. They are replaceable.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

You're absolutely right Unity.

The free web replaced Television just as Television replaced radio. Sure the Biggies of right now will still be around, just like TV and radio and newspapers, but only long enough for those generations to live out their lives.

When my Dad was in his prime, it was Radio all the way. When I was in my prime, it was Television that babysat us all. And now, more and more (and perhaps unfortunately), it's the "Free Internet" who has taken the reigns, and even if it IS all "Lord of the Flies" parenting, it's still the only way free info is possible, and it's where this generation and a half is spending their time and creativity.

There are whole generations who never knew what life was like without the web, and they ALL know where the free stuff is...just talk to one of them...if you can get passed the uninhibited anonymous-driven attitudes.

If there's anything we should have learned over the last 30 years of web, it should be that NOTHING is too big to be at least 90% replaceable and forgotten...including the Google/YouTube/ATS generation's idea of entertainment and information.

There are already many, MANY things in the wings, just waiting for monumental mistakes to be made by their perceived competition. And THEY are watching like hawks.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Just noticed that this was moved to "General Entertainment."

...Entertainment?

The very base of the information economy is shifting and it's classified as entertainment? ...I feel soooo old.

join