It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New to ATS - 600 year old tsunami warnings save some Japan homes

page: 1

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

MIYAKO, JAPAN—Modern sea walls failed to protect coastal towns from Japan’s destructive tsunami last month. But in the hamlet of Aneyoshi, a single centuries-old tablet saved the day.

Hey there, finally found something worth posting for my first post.

Apparently, there are dozens of these tablets warning people to not build their homes below these markers. Some are more than 600 years old.

It’s amazing how we as "modern and intelligent" beings ignore or have forgotten the common sense and wisdom of our ancestor’s.

Here is the link to the entire article.
www.thestar.com...
edit on 7-4-2011 by LordHavoc because: Added quote

edit on 7-4-2011 by LordHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Very good find. I remember somebody (don't know who) said "those who forget their past are condemned to repeat it"
You get your first flag from me!

Actually you already had flags...then it's your first reply post

edit on 7-4-2011 by Hundroid because: wrong info

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordHavoc

MIYAKO, JAPAN—Modern sea walls failed to protect coastal towns from Japan’s destructive tsunami last month. But in the hamlet of Aneyoshi, a single centuries-old tablet saved the day.

Apparently, there are dozens of these tablets warning people to not build their homes below these markers. Some are more than 600 years old.

It’s amazing how we as "modern and intelligent" beings ignore or have forgotten the common sense of our ancestor’s.

www.thestar.com...

Really an interesting article. If only they had paid attention to the markers! A reminder not to forget history.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hundroid

I have heard that one too. We could learn alot if just stopped and paid a little more attention to those who have come before us. Thanks for the flag

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I have always prefered to learn my lessons by the folly of others, learning it the hard way is never a good thing. The past spoke, but too many chose not to listen.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordHavoc

It’s amazing how we as "modern and intelligent" beings ignore or have forgotten the common sense and wisdom of our ancestor’s.

www.thestar.com...

Awesome first post OP! S&F for you!

We should be making modern day markers like this when natural disasters happen. Katrina in New Orleans comes to mind immediately.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Post yo pics bro!!!

I totally agree with this. People should heed the warnings of the old.
In fact, when I become president I will make announce a decree that every person over the age of 60 should write a biagrophy centering around do’s and don’ts in life. And then every child over the age of 16 should get at least three to read.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Thanks for helping out, I have been trying to figure out how to post them.

every child over the age of 16 should get at least three to read
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Good luck, you would have to txt it to them or they wouldnt pay attention to it.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LordHavoc

I like this and I absolutly agree with the ancients. It is 2011 and we are still building structures that can be toppled by wind much less tsunamis. We should be building smarter then that especially with all this new technology at our finger tips,

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

Then there would be no money to be made if they built things that last and the 3 year old little baby billionaires wouldn't be able to fight over who gets the $$$$ contract to rebuild and of course take control along with that.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Considering we've been conditioned into believing that the ancients and centuries old ancestors were intellectually inferior to us and full of superstition it doesn't surprise me that people would completely disregard those tablets as nonesense.

I think there is a lot of stuff that we dismiss about ancient knowledge that could prove extremely valuable to us if only weren't so prideful about our modern society and knowledge.

Great first post!

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Thats pretty amazing thanks for posting that up, it goes to show what happens when you disregard things written by the ancients, in a an easy to read format to the people. This story has also made me lose a large amount of hope for a successful future to humanity. We could be build museums to rival the Pyramids with enough warnings of what to do with clearly laid out examples and they'll still screw it up. This story also bolstered my belief that humanity is millions of years old and we're eternal screw ups well past our prime.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Respect.
It is not a request...
Ancient marker reminds me.

These markers need to be made a National Shinto Shrine on the same level of remembrance as Yasukuni Shrine. They should be worshipped in remembrance of all victims of all tsunami of all time. They should have torii inscribed "Never Again"; So Say We All.

edit on 8-4-2011 by Chakotay because: CLASSIFIED

join