It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search ATS, sorted by 'Most Recent'?? can we?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
If this is an option that is already available, then it needs to be easier to locate, because I cannot find it. I think that if this was added to the ATS search function, then the amount of duplicate threads would be reduced drastically. So in turn, this could possibly make it easier on the Mods, and also save time for the members who create the duplicate thread.

Win/Win for all!!!

A quick example; If you do a search on Youtube, you will get results. After that, you can refine your results with a nifty little function of 'Sort By'- 1. Relevance; 2. Upload Date; 3. Views; 4. Rating;
3 & 4 could be combined as Flags & Stars, but that would not be anywhere near as important as #2.

If we could perform an ATS search by 'Most Recent,' many of the duplicate threads would not be occurring.

I have made several searches on the topic of specific current events (events within the last couple days). Top search results are often from 2009, 2008, etc etc. I can easily see how many members would not feel like sorting through 10 pages of search results, just to try and find the most recent. In my opinion, it would make things much easier, and would help things to run smoother, if we could make a simple click and be able to view the most recent.

I know nothing about programming (I really don't know much about anything), so I do not know what this would require or if it is even possible. I just know that this feature (or a similar feature), is available on most websites that have a search function, and I think it would help here.

edit on 4/6/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
If you look at the top bar you'll se a number of options in capital letters. Click "RECENT POSTS" and it will open this link www.abovetopsecret.com...

That will list all posts made on ATS in order by the most recent post first

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

That is true, but that is not the same thing.
Can we perform a search for a specific thread topic by most recent?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I totally agree.
Most of what comes up in the search doesn't even show a date, so it has to be opened up to see if it's relevent or not. Some stuff from years ago often comes up first, you could spend an hour going through the search, and still not find anything recent.

It's getting tiring to have the opening posters start out with "don't get mad if this is posted, I couldn't find anything in the search" , only to have someone 4 or 5 posts down, state that the OP should have searched first

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well, I am glad someone agrees.
However, it seems that I do not know where the appropriate suggestion box is located.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I use google advanced search when I want to locate the most recent thread on a topic. After getting my search results, on the left there is the option of "Show search tools" - "Latest."

As an example, here are the results for a search for "chemtrails." The first thread was started today: search results.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Hey,

In regard to the new search function i dont think the Admin are quite finished with it as yet.

Stage 1 is now complete.

Stage 2 is going to sort results my how recent they are along with adding in star, flag and reply stats.

Stage 3 is Top Secret

It's covered in this thread(below):

OP - SkepticOverlord

Our vastly-improved search function has indexed more than five million distinct pages under the AboveTopSecret.com domain, and is ready for general use. The search results are vastly improved, and boolean search functions (finally) return to searching for content on ATS.

As the index fully cycles a second time, you'll also begin to see auto-complete begin to work for the more common/popular topics discussed on ATS. (yay!)

Phase two of search (requires an even deeper re-index and some additional code) will allow the prioritization of search results based on the date a thread was authored, the date of last reply, forum, flags, replies, and even member names. (Those factors can be searched now, but not yet used for prioritization of results.)

Phase three is top-secret

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Give it some time, it will get better

edit on 17-4-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

lol. You missed the dates. I posted this the day before SO announced the new search system.

It's either a conspiracy against me, or just coincidental timing. It was something I had wondered about for awhile. Then I finally made this thread, and the next day he made the announcement.

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

ahh sorry, i did miss that.. doh!!

posted on Apr, 17 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

no problem.
It was just odd timing,

top topics

join