It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Speech for Leaders?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A poster in another thread raised a very good point with this quote:

�All President Bush did was give his opinion, as I gave mine earlier agreeing with him, that this was a bad idea. It's your cry of "He has no right to critize the government of Spain/The Phillipines!" that prompted my response... Does freedom of speech not apply to him like it does the rest of us?� By ThunderCloud posted in Vengeance and the Meaning of Democracy

Do presidents, prime ministers, diplomats, other heads of state and cabinet level politicians of a country have the same freedom of speech as ordinary citizens? Especially considering the possible consequences of speaking their minds? Does what the leaders say automatically become government policy?

Consider that every modern leader has dozens of speechwriters and committees to comb through every word of a speech making sure it is �politically correct� in order not to offend or inadvertently cause a diplomatic incident. Also consider how the press and the public will jump all over a politician if they say one single word out of place.

Are citizens ready for freedom of speech from their leaders? Would their political careers survive? Or will the press and people pounce on them as they do now?

Personally, I would prefer to hear my leaders speak from the heart with no repercussions instead of hearing weasel words and poli-speak all the time, but somehow I do not think the world is ready for that.

Interesting questions, no?

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Two Days and NOTHING?

Note to self. Do not post serious topics on weekends!

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Yes, very interesting and hard questions we must ask ourselves, I don't know if I would agree. My personal opinion: never tell your friend the truth. Make him believe in a illusion.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
A head of any state, needs to choose his words to the press an public carefully, especially if what he/she says will effect policy of the nation. Each nation has their own populace to appease an what is good for America may not be good for all. International diplomacy requires that one should think, before they speak.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

I take it that politicians do not have the same freedom of speech that we mere citizens have. It is contained by political considerations.

So when Bush criticises Spain and Indonesia (also recall Turkey) for respecting their people's wishes, then he is in fact communicating US government policy and therefore that they do not understand democracy?

new topics

top topics

join