It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan Reactor - Blue Flashes report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

does anyone know which Isotope produces blue flashes ?

also, I noted a sense of "What to do now ?" in the voices of Japanese talking about the disaster.
these are people in gov't or directly connected to the facility.
the NWO really did a big no - no, it would appear -
lets go back in time a bit and see if we missed anythingon that report that they wanted the northern
hemosphere iratiated.. remember, bush bought land in south america... on a aquafier... ? that story
appeared to be very accurate from what I am see coming out of Japan. ...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Many criticality accidents have been observed to emit a blue flash of light and to heat the material substantially. This blue flash or "blue glow" is often incorrectly attributed to Cherenkov radiation, most likely due to the very similar color of the light emitted by both of these phenomena. This is merely a coincidence.

Cherenkov radiation is produced by charged particles which are travelling through a dielectric substance at a speed greater than the speed of light in that medium. The only types of charged particle radiation produced in the process of a criticality accident (fission reactions) are alpha particles, beta particles, positrons (which all come from the radioactive decay of unstable daughter products of the fission reaction) and energetic ions which are the daughter products themselves. Of these, only beta particles have sufficient penetrating power to travel more than a few centimeters in air. Since air is a very low density material, its index of refraction (around n=1.0002926) differs very little from that of a vacuum (n=1) and consequently the speed of light in air is only about 0.03% slower than its speed in a vacuum. Therefore, a beta particle emitted from decaying fission products would need to have a velocity greater than 99.97% c in order to produce Cherenkov radiation. Because the energy of beta particles produced during nuclear decay do not exceed energies of about 20 MeV (20.6 MeV for 14B is likely the most energetic[24]) and the energy needed for a beta particle to attain 99.97% c is 20.3 MeV, the possibility of Cherenkov radiation produced in air via a fission criticality is virtually eliminated.

Instead, the blue glow of a criticality accident results from the spectral emission of the excited ionized atoms (or excited molecules) of air (mostly oxygen and nitrogen) falling back to unexcited states, which happens to produce an abundance of blue light. This is also the reason electrical sparks in air, including lightning, appear electric blue. It is a coincidence that the color of Cherenkov light and light emitted by ionized air are a very similar blue despite their very different methods of production. It would be also interesting to remark that the ozone smell was said to be a sign of high radioactivity field through Chernobyl liquidators.

The only situation where Cherenkov light may contribute a significant amount of light to the blue flash is where the criticality occurs underwater or fully in solution (such as uranyl nitrate in a reprocessing plant) and this would be visible only if the container were open or transparent

en.wikipedia.org...

I think the last paragraph of this quote could explain the blue flash. Not sure if it's a particular isotope or just charged particles in general.
edit on 2-4-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
woah woah woah, correct me if im wrong, but did that young whipper snapper of a reporter say that there are 600 workers but only 300 pieces of radiation safety gear to go around?

raugh out roud?

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by mojoarian

Can you say - Unprepared?

That is shocking, after all this time and they can't even get enough radiation badges together, that is pathetic. Makes it very hard to trust that TEPCO can handle this.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by HorizonMan

www.msnbc.msn.com...

TEPCO claims that alot of there radiation safety gear was destroyed in the disasters. They say they got a shipment of gear in on friday and now everyone has the proper gear needed..

I have no idea why it would take 3 weeks for them to get in about 500 or so extra rad alarms, dosimiters, and badges.. im thinking they didn't ask for this gear till a week ago or something..

I work with radiation for a living and i can tell you this. Not knowing how much radiation you picked up would be a nightmare...

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Is there any video at all of the blue flashes of light? That has got to be scary as hell to them workers...(that know the truth)

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There hasn't been any video of the plant for a while now.

The blue flashes are the result of high energy particles. As well as emitting invisible radiation it is emitting visible radiation.

posted on Apr, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sounds like this might possibly be a Neutron Beam as reported in other threads in the Japan forum. My understanding this is a sign of complete meltdown, IF so, Neutron Beam - bad.

Here is a link to a 3/24 news article reporting 13 Neutron Beams detected as far as ]1.5 km from the plant. I am a little confused on this point.

Neutron Beam

edit on 2-4-2011 by Skylonda because: (no reason given)

top topics

join